Mudguard woes - what's gone wrong?

Ok so maybe my memory had failed me completely with my last post, but it seems to have returned as I've got closer to a Friday evening beer.
Loosen the allen screw that is in the black bit that connects to the skewers, this allows the stays to be pushed in or pulled out more - then re-tighten the screw.

I just get wet and decided I might as well enjoy it. They don’t work here in the winter. I found that out the hard way. If you ride and leave it outside for any length of time the slush freezes and locks the wheels to the guards. Makes it hard to pedal. They also pack with slush when riding and cause friction. Some folks use them here but not too many. This is a spring photo and this is my spring bike, when the roads begin to have bare pavement. I named it holy spokes, put on hole stickers. Single speed, less to slush up. This is a transition bike going from studs to the summer bike. I only need this bike for 6 weeks. The 1.75 x 29 tires just fit. The bike, when new, had 38mm tires. I only use guards on my bikes if it was original equipment. If there missing using aftermarket ones always require fabrication. 55AED821-63C7-4AD8-9873-CAE83FE74D67.jpeg

Last edited:
Couple of cans per ride.

Mudguards are a waste of money, you'll still get muddy, just less. By letting me ride your bicycle and you staying at home, you won't have to worry about that ever again.
Tried several types over the years. The ONLY ones that REALLY work (ie, keep Front wheel spray off your feet and back wheel spray off your mates too) are SKS Longboard.

Back