Mudguard Recommendations please

onyerbike531

Retro Guru
Hi retro roadies.
As we're getting closer to winter it's got me thinking about fitting some fixed mudguards.
Something nice and sleek, I run 25s on my audax racer, I think I'm going to go with silver ones to coordinate with the silver fade on the black frame.
What makes would you recommend?

Thanks

Sks are in my opinion the best. I’ve got a couple of pairs on different bikes and nothing beats them.

I’m about to sell a pair of 700c x 35 silver chromoplastics which have been fitted but not used as they are too narrow for my 32c tyres so had to buy a 42 set.

Running Velo Orange aluminium mudguards on my road bike. They take a bit of setting up but have been great. Recommended.

Hello,
The stainless Gilles Berthoud mudguards are in my opinion, the business. No rivets, solid when fitted, work very well, and look the part too. I bought mine from SJS. They are substantially cheaper than Honjo and PDW which are also rather nice.
Weinmann used to make some really good inox ones if you can find a decent set. Otherwise, as said before, SKS are very good and have the advantage of being more flexible than stainless. I have a pair fitted on my touring bike and they survived years of use and numerous flights.

Best regards

I've had 2 sets of crud roadrace, they were ok, they are designed to move about so you got a fair bit of zip noise from them and they don't survive when a car rear ends you at the traffic lights.
for absolute budget I'm now using a set of lifeline narrow clip on mudguards that have proven to be pretty robust for the past few winters although I did have to put a new rivet in the rear last year.

I think I'll go with the SKS ones, what size would I need if I wanted a slick look to match my frame. I currently run 25x700c michelin classic tyres, I never go above a 25, would the 35mm x 700 bluemel olympics be right?

Latest posts

Back