Muddy Fox Monarch Pro: Purists look away now!

Tsundere

Fat Chance Fan
Feedback
View
Just bought this frame as summer project...

Hoping to build it up as close to original spec as possible, so any information anyone has in regards to that would be very much appreciated. I can't seem to find anything about it anywhere.

I'll post the frame number after I get it home as I'm sure that will help with identification etc.

frame pic 1.jpg

Last edited:
Any updates on this?
As an educated guess I would say it's 94...
It's getting there, catalogue correctness went out the window, but period correctness is being respected. It's going to be an unbranded '94 themed frankenbike workhorse when complete 😙👌

Attachments

• P8253682.JPG
    P8253682.JPG
    362.7 KB · Views: 21
Just took it out for its maiden voyage, a first for me in terms of starting with a frame and building a bike up completely from scratch, something of a milestone on my retro bike journey. This Tange Ultimate Superlight frame is joined by a full STX SE group set including wheels, Ritchey seat post and bars/grips, Vetta SL saddle, Nitto stem and Kona P2 fork, I did my best to make sure everything on the bike (except the tyres) was from 93/94 but that's about as far as it goes theme wise.

It's not quite complete, there's a pair of period correct silver PD-M24's on the way, the ones that double as spd's and flats, chose them because generally I prefer to wear the shoes I'll be walking around in but occasionally I like to clip in, they also go with the red/silver colour scheme

The yellow outer cables I'm not sure about, got them off another bike I stripped down for parts and thought I'd use them up to save a few bob, I both love them and hate them, I have a black set which I may switch them out for later.

It rides like a dream, so comfy, light and responsive, my favourite rider so far has been the Rocky Mountain Hammer but this one definitely comes close to that, I want to say it's even nicer but that might just be bias due to the fact that I chose all the parts and put it together myself, either way It's going to be my general use all weather bike for the foreseeable future.

P8283685.JPG
P8283687.JPG P8283688.JPG P8283689.JPG

Last edited:
It is a very nice bike, I just have a couple of questions, why change the forks and how do those Kojaks roll?

It is a very nice bike, I just have a couple of questions, why change the forks and how do those Kojaks roll?
I just like P2's, I was able to pick these up a while back for peanuts and as soon as I paired them with the frame I was sold! Still got the original forks but for me the P2's really suit this build. I wanted to have a bit of fun with this bike, all my other projects have been and will be all about restoring classics to their original state, this one though was about creating something unique.

Kojaks are amazing, I know they are about as far from the retro mtb aesthetic as you can get, but I will use no other tyre when I'm riding primarily on tarmac, they are fine on light gravel too, even on dry dirt tracks but no good at all on wet grassy or muddy surfaces, they are stupidly light, very fast and surprisingly durable, had this pair on a succession of commuters and used them virtually daily, 6-7 miles+ a day and had only one puncture since February, I can't praise them enough.

Last edited:
After test riding it today I've made some minor adjustments.
Lowered the FD
Raised the stem and shortened top rear cable housing to improve shifting and take some pressure off those poor ferrules
Slapped some knobblies on just to see how it looks

Lighting in this converted garage/office isn't the best, will take some better snaps out in the wild tomorrow.

Attachments

• P8283733.JPG
    P8283733.JPG
    421.4 KB · Views: 15
Back