MS Racing - New Project / Childhood Dream Bike

@goshow

Found this thread:

Pretty certain it's a 1" headset. I can check my CR1 tonight if need be, if I can get to it!

That headset is on eBay:
And the outside dimension in description (30mm) pretty much matches the inside of your steerer tube you mentioned. Again pretty sure these only came in 1" flavour.

Somewhere on RB there is a thread with a scan of the spec sheet of the parts...
Having thought about it I’m pretty sure you’re right.

I’m measuring the inside diameter of the headstock and taking that reading as the headset size. I’m now thinking / realising that the 1 1/8” refers to the size of the steerer tube, not the headstock inner dia.

Or am I still barking up the wrong tree?!!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Having thought about it I’m pretty sure you’re right.

I’m measuring the inside diameter of the headstock and taking that reading as the headset size. I’m now thinking / realising that the 1 1/8” refers to the size of the steerer tube, not the headstock inner dia.

Or am I still barking up the wrong tree?!!
Headset size relates to the outside DIA of steerer tube of the fork, which means if you don't have a fork, then you'll have to measure the inside DIA of the steerer tube which is what you did and that equates to a 1" headset. 👍

Headset size relates to the outside DIA of steerer tube of the fork, which means if you don't have a fork, then you'll have to measure the inside DIA of the steerer tube which is what you did and that equates to a 1" headset. 👍
Every day is a school day.

Well that’s saved a few quid and lots of swearing 🤬

🤣

Love these MS Racing bikes. You can really see the design influence they had on the first generation alpinestars.

I have a CR1 which I bought a while back and have yet to do anything with it. It's lost it's original saddle, seatpost, tyres, brake blocks and grips and as no doubt in the early 90s some monkey chopped the bars down too! The paint on mine has seem to have fared a little better than yours, but it's black vs. yellow - crazy to see how the yellow turns mustardy?!

I remember looking at these bikes in MBUK and watching Mike Kloser win the Aviemore Round of the Grundig World Cup on his CR2 which I think was broadcast on Grandstand? Also remember going on holiday down Cornwall way and there was a bike shop with a few MS Racing bikes in the window which I remember gawping at as we went past. I wonder what shop that was?

I'm assuming you've seen this:

Looking forward to seeing how you progress!
I got a CR1 new when they came out in '89 but the black paint started flaking off the aluminium tubes within a few months so it got sent back to the distributor. It was then replaced with a Alpine Stars Al Mega XT frame which was a downgrade in my opinion.

This sounds likes it's going to be fun!

Really like that fork actually, so hoping you can track one, or similar, down...

I got a CR1 new when they came out in '89 but the black paint started flaking off the aluminium tubes within a few months so it got sent back to the distributor. It was then replaced with a Alpine Stars Al Mega XT frame which was a downgrade in my opinion.
The paint on mine is OK(ish). Maybe you had an earlier one as the one? I have a rib running up the back of the head tube (I heard the first batch developed cracks in the head tube) so maybe they resolved paint issue as well? Better be careful cleaning it up that I don't polish the paint off! 🤣

The paint on mine is OK(ish). Maybe you had an earlier one as the one? I have a rib running up the back of the head tube (I heard the first batch developed cracks in the head tube) so maybe they resolved paint issue as well? Better be careful cleaning it up that I don't polish the paint off! 🤣
While I was awaiting the arrival of the Alpine Stars I raced a couple of times on a friend's Pro Comp XT, which was a good ride but the straight forks were unforgiving, even with a flexstem. Great bike for you to have though, a real rarity.

Back