Mountain Cycle San Andreas 1st gen 1992

Re:

Prototyp or earlier version : 1990

First generation shown in 1991 Exhibition

Beautiful!

I'd agree that those are the second Gen forks, But your main frame is an odd mix... I beleive that you have a very early front box section (no bottle bosses on the top) and a later swingarm (the pivot clamp is different on the very first models)

Mine is a 93 (94 model year) so I'd guess at yours being either a 92 or more likely, a 93 model year bike.

Check out risse who still sell shocks for these - mucho improvement!

Re:

First of all, what an amazing find. Lucky you !

I've always liked that suspenders forks and fortunately I can call this one my own
vHWxWo.jpg

But I have to agree that it looks way better on a San Andreas

Cheers
Jeroen

Re: Shocking project,... Not a Trek

Thias":e58erpey said:
I am on the look out for one of those, too. They are a good example of a working rear suspension that was built for 10 years, even thou its a URT design.
Will you try a different dampener? Me thinks it might ride better, then. Keep the original one on the shelf, of course...

San Andreas is not a URT! It's a single-pivot design; but the BB is definitely not attached to the rear dropouts (the 'U' of the Unified Rear Triangle).
Single-pivot is called outdated too; but Orange and Santa Cruz don't seem to mind ;)

San Andreas frames are just incredible to ride; with an air shock they climb like a hardtail even with those original old shocks, spent a fun few hours out on mine last Sunday! :cool:
Defiant has a winner!

Thanks guys for all the info! really appreciated

For some reason I have always been a rigid diamond frame rider but with all the good reviews and enthusiastic and positive reactions form other owners I am curious about this bike so i will definitely give it a chance when I am finished with the rebuild.

So i guess i need to get a Risse rear sock and some new elastic's in the front ?

https://www.suspensionforkparts.net/esh ... h-kit.html

Which rear shock should i check out ?

Re:

Risse Genesis Damper. 150mm e2e length.
No adjustment other than air pressure - I was very skeptical about that at first as I love being able to adjust rebound on the fly - but it simply doesn't need it.
28292309201_00d4df2854_b.jpg

Quite 'odd' bikes actually; but once you get used to what it does it's all very intuitive.
Sit back on the seat and lean back & the shock becomes plush & cushy on a descent. Get out of the saddle on a climb and the chain tension gives a little resistance to the shock.
Hit a bump when unweighted & it literally acts just as a shock absorber - like a good set of air forks.
Hit a bump when seated & the travel eats into a bit more, active plush suspension.
Climb seated & it just goes uphill - just have to lean forward as it's quite rear-weighted!
The stiffening up under load is not uncommon on full-sus; but it's noticeable.

The is one big disadvantage though; which is that it can make other bikes seem less...fun.. Even the ones I really like! ;)

thanks buddy!
really helpful

The enthusiasm rubs of on me,... can't wait to make the first run myself

Took the bike apart today.
Started stripping the fork and was totally surprised that the red anno color came back, without hardly any damages for the part that i have done so far.
I think I am quit lucky with this example
All parts : Front Mech, Rear Mech, Cranks, BB,.. all M900 and in a perfect condition. No signs of heavy use anywhere.
Even the Elastomers look like the have been installed yesterday ,.. still soft and like new.

So within a few days I will start stripping the paint. For now the paintstripper seems to work just fine on the fork.
Things I need
- Find period correct tires
- A red ringle rear skewer
- Syncros Stem 1 1/4" in Alu or Black

Re: Shocking project,... Not a Trek

Well that definitely looks like it was cobbled together by someone at Caterpillar - Tea-Lady perhaps :facepalm:

24pouces":2zb65slc said:
RockiMtn":2zb65slc said:
Defiant":2zb65slc said:
sorry, i couldn't resist! :LOL:
In France, we got “Vario Bike“, a brand created by a Caterpillar ingeneer…
and so, all the Vario bike were yellow ! :mrgreen:
Vario.jpg

Nice San Andreas with 2th generation Suspenders !

Re:

the project is a bit slow at the moment but i put the Suspenders back together.
Hope to get started with the polishing this weekend

Attachments

• IMG_9162.JPG
    IMG_9162.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 1,105
Back