Motobecane La Redoute Road Bike.

Hi Olavi,

I can only add that the only difference to the real team bike and the Equip Pro' frame is that the La Redoute Team frame has...

Cinelli bottom bracket.
Columbus sloping fork crown.
Brazed on front mech.

The Equipe Pro' doesn't.

These bikes are so rare :shock: and finding info' is so hard.

Ian.

Thanks for the information Ian ! My bike has a Cinelli bottom bracket shell, also original fork crown is sloping but there is no braze on for front derailleur.

- Olavi

12092011703.jpg

12092011704.jpg

Looking at your 'other' pictures of the bike It looks like we share both the same bottom bracket shells.

There should be an M on the slopes of the fork crown! I've searched & searched for this type of
fork and only come across one but the steerer tube was too short, so didn't buy them, then a
friend said I should have got them, then get a frame builder to put in a new steerer tube :facepalm:

I have thought that even there is not M pantographs in my fork crown it is however original fork of the bike. At least it is french threaded and with french language Columbus decals.
My friends -83 Motobecane has similar fork as yours.

Yes changing steerer tube is possible but I think that chrome plating must be removed first and then rechrome fork. I have also tried to find new fork but finding chromed Columbus SL fork with sloping crown and without any pantographs seems to be very difficult...

Re:

Your beautiful bike inspired me to search for one of these and now very excited to report that after a year's searching I just put payment down on a very lucky find....

Its a Team Champion originally purchased from Langsett cycles in Sheffield in 1980/81 which had bought it from an exhibition. The owner was told is was one of a limited edition built for the Motobecane Team and came with two chromed forks including the embossed 'M' version. The owner very shortly thereafter suffered a bad injury and stopped riding it. It has been in storage ever since - including emigrating to my side of the world with the rest of the household belongings at some point - and I tracked it down through word of mouth. It has the braze on FD and Cinelli BB. It is a real time capsule and still even has the original 1980's reflector set fitted. It is not overly clear on the photo but the Team Champion model text is on the top tube.

If that wasn't amazing enough it is also my size :xmas-wink:

My wife is a big Paul Sherwen fan and so this is one bike that is getting welcomed into the house with open arms. I will give it a good polish and post some pics when it arrives.

Amazing find and looks a beaut'! I'd be whipping off all the reflectors and finding some correct brake lever hoods, the hoods can be found mainly in France though

Beautiful bike with original parts :) ! Have to agree with Ian, reflectors aren't for racers!

If you ever think about selling the other fork (without the M panto) please contact me first ;) ! My Motobecane is currently in parts becouse I don't have correct fork and the original is broken. The on in the photos was cheap asian made...

-Olavi

We Want We Want......... More pictures of the machine! Do put them on this thread if you like, kinda like a Motobecane tribute thread...lol

Hi all,
I am george, coming from corsica, 48,and i just bought from a former motobécane staff member a la redoute-motobécane frame.
I m building this frame with relevant equipement from the 80's.
If interested, i can post pictures.

Back