More 1055/6 Troubles. Front Mech compatibility

Re:

I think there were 2 different 105 champagne front mechs. The original one was for down tube shifters and then they introduced a new one when they brought out sti's. They look similar, I think the arm to which the cable clamps is angled slightly differently. It would seem you have the first version

great... thanks :)
I don't understand what Shimano were thinking. It seems like there are essentially two different 1055 groups with different speeds, different front mechs, different shifters. And then they released 1056 which was the same as 8 speed 1055 STI only had clipless pedals and a different axle length. Why not just change the name when it went 8-speed STI... :-/

Thanks for all the help. Looks like I need a new mech then.

I have the first, only band-on. That would explain that then :)
The newer one appears to have a shorter arm and a different clamp design, and the bottom pivot seems offset.
Thanks for your help

Anyone got a slightly buggered one to swap for a slightly buggered one? :)

Re:

Hi James
Happy to be of help! Just to clarify, do you want one for a braze on fitting or band on like in the pic. If the latter I've got one in excellent cond which I would part with
Regards
Iain

I did wonder if it was two different mechs - I have similar issues mixing it up with STI and 30 years worth of front mechs in the parts bin.

So far I've found 10spd STI only work with 10spd

8spd STI work with 9 and 8spd

600 downtube shifters have the springy bit in the front shifter which means they dont work with 10spd modern

I too now have to go and find a bloody mech that works...

Glad you got yours sorted!

I did have a braze on 105 too if needed.

legrandefromage":2fyrs54k said:
So far I've found 10spd STI only work with 10spd.
And in saying that 5700/6700 sti's will only work with 5700/6700 front mechs. I couldn't get them to work with a 6600 front mec - the mech wasn't moving far enough.

Bloody shimano & front mechs. Should have adopted no indexing up front and have a continuous ratchet a la campag

Back