Monster Fat... year?

hairstream

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Picked up a Monster Fat on Craigslist recently (thanks for the heads up M)... Anyone have an idea on the year? I hear that maybe it's a 1988. Bought it to build for my girlfriend, it is 15 inch, with u brake. There is a tab at the back of the seat tube which the seat collar bolt goes through. It has the "regular" FAT city cycles head tube decal, not the franky. :roll:

Can't make too much of the serial number...

Attachments

• Monster Serial.jpg
    Monster Serial.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 829
  • Monster1.jpg
    Monster1.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 829
Hey guy,

The best I can do is give you a rough idea as the addition of the Monster to the Fat timeline is kinda fuzzy.

The Monster had two incarnations...the first ones were black sprayed, rebadged Wickeds that had only the down tube decal to differentiate them from their true linage. These never appeared in a catalogue (at least none that I've seen) but were found wheeling around in late 89 to 90.

In 91, the "new" Monsters hit the streets, basically going to a Yo front triangle and a mono-stay rear end, incorporating the new headbadge as well.

The Monster first appeared in the catalogue in 92 as a stock model.

Given that rough history, I'd say you'd be looking at an earlier frame...it would be really interesting to get the paint off of it and see what tale the serial number tells. As most of these were left over Wickeds, who knows how early it could end up being.

A little black touch up over the serial number after a peek would not be that visible tucked under the bb ;)

cheers,

rody

Not to state the obvious, but no monostay = rebadged Wicked? it looks identical to my 89 Wicked minus the U-brake

fat2.jpg

rody":176qth1p said:
Hey guy,

The Monster first appeared in the catalogue in 92 as a stock model.

Given that rough history, I'd say you'd be looking at an earlier frame.

Hey Rody,

in my 91 catalogue the Monster already appeared as a stock model.

I'm of the same opinion, this is an earlier one. Probably 89 cause of the U-Brake.

cheers,
Yo

Kris,

I've got three pages of the 91 catalogue and no more... :(

this is one that is lacking as a resource on MTBKatalogue and here in the Retrobike archives, perhaps you would be willing to provide a scan?

Out of curiosity, does the 91 catalogue show it with the monostay?

cheers,

rody

Back