Modern wheelset for classic bike?

Tom79

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Looking for a new wheelset for a retro/modern build. Anyone recommend something that still has that classic look? Velo Orange looks appealing but not sure what else is out there.

Bontrager RaceXLite from about 2005 was a shallow silver rim and hub - with DT internals

Kinlin ADHN are another classic looking rim. Folks on LFGSS have recommended them in the past.

I have had VO PBP rims on my main bike since 2010. They’ve got maybe 15-18k miles on them now so I’ve been very happy with them! I think they’re Andel track hubs. Replaced the bearings around the 11k mile point. Spokes are the stainless db ones from Cyclebasket.

I'd get somebody to make up modern wheels just like the old days - H+Son or Kinlin rims, hubs to choice (Campag/Ambrosio/Shimano), DB spokes and off you go.

SunXCD hubs/rims?

Kinlin ADHN are another classic looking rim. Folks on LFGSS have recommended them in the past.

I have had VO PBP rims on my main bike since 2010. They’ve got maybe 15-18k miles on them now so I’ve been very happy with them! I think they’re Andel track hubs. Replaced the bearings around the 11k mile point. Spokes are the stainless db ones from Cyclebasket.

I have a set of high flange Sun XCD hubs laced to Kinlin ADHN I have been using on my touring bike for years, I am really impressed, and they look great IMO too.

Soma Fab shop can probably set you up with the parts for a vintage looking build. HPlus Son has a nice square profile rim that would build up into a nice wheeset with some polished 32 hole 105 hubs - maybe you can find something on Velomine?

Back