Modern 26" rim advice please

Daipink

Old School Hero
I have a Kona AA (1994) and Kona Kula (2001 disc or rim brake) and want to get new wheels built for them. There seems to be some choice of modern 26 rims around and I wonder if anyone has recommendations for upgrades for an older bike.

I like the look of these Halo T2 rims reasonably light and a lot wider than old rims plus they have a brake track so could be swapped between my 2 bikes if I wanted. Only thing I'm not sure on is how wide is too wide for v-brakes? These are 32mm external.

Happy to consider alternatives.

I have mavic D521 rims on my Yates, (not modern I know, but originally a DH rim so wide at about 25mm) and found these to be too wide for decent V or magura setup, on my frame. I previously ran 217 rims on it with Vs, no problems. Depending on your frame, clearance, canti post size, tyre size, etc. you might be ok with wider rims. I could only get cantis to fit correctly, but wasn't happy with the braking so will be swapping to a mullet, disc on the front canti on the rear. The Ryde andra rims look pretty good and seem to get good reviews, they appear to be strong and reliable, but heavy.

I ran a T2 wheel on a 98 Kona Kilauea with avid v brakes - it was a bit tight but did fit, although I had to swap the spacers around on the brake blocks to make them work, but that’s what they are there for.

I would also take a look at the Halo White Line rims, available in silver for an older aesthetic. I have some on my wife’s 95 Marin Eldridge and they fit somewhere between the T2 and a skinny retro rim. I know someone who fits these pretty much as standard on their retro builds.

Have a look at Spa Cycles, Exal and Ryde (used to be Rigida) rims are available in 17mm inside width so exactly like retro ones. Decent rims which have been proven as tough by the touring community.

Thanks all for the replies and advice. When I get round to it I think I'll give the Halo T2s a try after all and not worry about rim brake compatibility. My rim braked bike already has a very decent set of wheels and only gets light use and I want to try 2.3" tyres on the Kula so wider rims seem to make sense. No doubt I won't be able to resist trying them out with rim brakes too but won't be too disappointed if it doesn't work out

Something to consider, as I once was looking at building a set of wheels I could use for both rim and disc use, are WTB dual duty rims. I ended up with a set and they are a fairly modern rim, wider than the retro ones and have a brake track for rim brakes which if not used, is invisible.

Something to consider, as I once was looking at building a set of wheels I could use for both rim and disc use, are WTB dual duty rims. I ended up with a set and they are a fairly modern rim, wider than the retro ones and have a brake track for rim brakes which if not used, is invisible.
Thanks but they seem to be out of production. Pity as they look ideal. Will keep eyes peeled for used or NOS ones.

I suspect these have sold by now 😁

An eBay search has turned up 2 front wheels for less than £20 each. Took me a few minutes to realise I could just use them for rims in a new build 🤔

Back