MKS Sylvan Pedals

Tommy27

Retro Guru
So I've borrowed a pair from my missus for the last year and despite having spent years clipless, I much prefer this. It might be because I use proper shoes and track double straps as well?

However, while shes's in no rush to get them back I feel like I should get my own. Does anyone have any experince of riding the touring or stream pedals, I'm currently riding the track version which are supposedly suitable for road too, I'm wondering if I'd miss the tab at the back when it comes to getting into them?

Does anyone have any experince with the 'Next' versions, with their cartridge bearings? Not that easily available here though.

Also be intrested in any alternatives, but looking for something that can take a fair bit of mileage and possibly some randonneuring once it's safe to do so.

Ran some AR2s for absolutely years, thought they were very good. I think the bearings are the same as the Touring ones.

Great pedals. Very close in apearance to the classic Campag road pedal. Even the Campag pedal spanner fits the serations of the dust cap. Put them on a classic road bike and at a quick glance no body will know they are not Campag.
When buying them new I always strip them down, put in more grease, there is never enough, and adjust the bearings so they are smooth. Out of the box they are always a bit tight and notchy for me. I would stick with the Sylvans. Available at £25/30, can't go wrong !

Which version though? There's the track and road with tab and the touring without. Wondering how much wider the touring ones are- can't seem to find that online. I'll be running them with toe clips either way.

^ I was going to ask the same question!

All of them are excellent pedals with good bearings. The plating on the steel axles is also good and they don’t rust. I find the track pedals too narrow though. Probably fine with the right shoe and cleat.

I commuted on a fixed gear bike with quills and normal shoes for years and I think the quill contributed to my knee injury. In a normal shoe, the quill turns your foot over slightly and long term I don’t think this did my knee much good. I only recently wore a shoe with a slotted cleat and suddenly the quill fitted properly for the first time and it all made sense - didn’t previously know this. So I’d only ride the flat versions.

Choice of pedal depends what your ride is I guess. The Track pedals will probably be narrower and not at their best on a road bike. I personally use the Road pedals mainly and if using clips and straps, as I do, their weight will automatically bring the tab uppermost for you to flick your foot into the clip. I always use cycling shoes with them. The Touring pedals are probably more for riders who do not use clips and straps and appreciate a double sided pedal they can easily place flat soled everyday shoes on to.

So got the road version. They run smooth out of the box, but having an issue I never had with the track pedals- the straps are rubbing agains the cranks sometimes. Any suggestions?

They often do. That is why you often find rub marks on the outside of secondhand cranks. Are the straps leather ? It may get better as they soften up with riding.
Perhaps with the track pedals you pulled the straps tighter ?

They are leather and new. The ones on the track pedals were suede and possibly over 20 years old? Probably doesn't help I'm running hollowtech cranks, although not planning to do so for too much longer. Unfourtunately there is now a noticeable amount of rub wear on the non drive side crank. Drive side seems fine?!

Pulling straps over to the outside a bit more seems to have helped a bit.

Back