Merlin Works CR AKA When Dylan Went Electric

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
My first modern bike has made me feel pretty excited but also a little melancholy, like the end of an era.

For a while I've been hankering after a ti road bike, preferably a mid 90s Merlin. But what's the chance of one coming up in 64cm? And, even if it does, what's the chance of it not being cracked or soon to crack? It seemed like a vain, forlorn search. And although i do vain as well as I do forlorn, neither were particularly welcome.

While at the Cyclocross World Championships 6 weeks ago, I spent some time idly surfing. I blame the super strength Belgian beer but a Merlin Works CR caught my eye, in my size and a price within range. The fish was hooked and all I had to do was reel it in.

Having landed the catch, I had to consider the build - although the frame was 2006 so newish, I was keen to keep it as traditional looking as I could so silver groupset if possible. The frame came with a very nice Van Nicholas ti post and it would have been great to match it with a ti stem but the build had to be financially responsible, or at least I did. I found a donor bike with a silver Sram Rival groupset but disaster struck - the band on front mech was too small. Surely it would be easy to find one in the right diameter? A quick Google suggested not, even eBay was looking empty. Then one came up but it was in the US with no international shipping. A request for help with shipping via here got a great response and, with very generous assistance, the last piece of the jigsaw slotted into place - not only was I going modern, but I was also going with a matching groupset, another first.

I had no idea about how to set up the DoubleTap shifters so decided to ask the LBS to do the necessary but I insisted on taping the bars as I wanted to ensure that I screwed something up.

And so, it was ready to ride. I couldn't contain myself so headed off before work into thick mist. The condensation on the metal surfaces was impressive but I was a bit underwhelmed - it rode like, well, a very nice bike. Perhaps my expectations were unrealistic but it didn't seem any better than my other bikes. Hmmmm.

Today the weather was glorious so, after tennis, I headed out to try the beast again. And it was better, very much better. I've never been good at describing how different bikes ride but the Merlin felt tight and smooth even if it was running on teak hard 23c tyres on very damaged roads. My legs were weary but I seemed to ride up the hills if not effortlessly then certainly at a very decent speed. Descents felt similarly solid. Perhaps there really is something in this modern lark after all, in fact to paraphrase SuperHans, this modern is quite moreish.......

To the bike:
Frame - Merlin Works CR in XL (decals removed by previous owner, thankfully as they were absolutely horrid)
Fork - Real Designs HP full carbon
Groupset - Sram Rival (including front mech!)
Saddle - Fizik Arione
Seatpost - Van Nicholas ti
Stem - Thomson
Bars - Pro classic bend alloy
Wheels - Mavic Aksium

I'm not convinced by the stem - it's zero degrees but I think i need something with negative rise - and the bike really deserves better wheels that the Aksiums that came on the donor bike. But it's all good as is so i'll ride a bit more and replace as appropriate.

Attachments

• P3160173.JPG
    P3160173.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 725
  • P3150162.JPG
    P3150162.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 725
  • P3160183.JPG
    P3160183.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 725
  • P3150165.JPG
    P3150165.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 725
Re: Merlin Woks CR AKA When Dylan Went Electric

Very nice Ed, bonus of that finish of titanium is it will always look new any scratches will polish out with a 3m pad.

Look forward to a road ride sometime soon.

Matt

Re:

Looks incredible in the flesh !

I maybe tired from another epic wild weather gospel pass but I believe it caught "my" eye while you were enjoying yourself at the world champs?? :LOL: :LOL:

Really tidy build looking forward to seeing it out :cool:

Re: Re:

daj":2hp6lq13 said:
I maybe tired from another epic wild weather gospel pass but I believe it caught "my" eye while you were enjoying yourself at the world champs?? :LOL: :LOL: :cool:

I think you may be right as the Antwerp Weekend is a little hazy.

Further riding suggests that the bike is very tidy even if I did manage to blow out the sidewall of the front Conti GP 4 Seasons.

The race approach of the frame is highlighted by the close clearance at the rear, I reckon I can squeeze in a 25c but only just, which isn't completely ideal with the state of the roads in Herefordshire. Still, nice issue to have.

Ed, that's lovely.

May I also claim some credit, since this is the second time I've tried to offload my old tat, only for you to find something better...

Grannygrinder":15e8t14r said:
Inside leg = Giraffe :shock:
John Wayne is big leggy.

nimbus":15e8t14r said:
Ed, that's lovely.

May I also claim some credit, since this is the second time I've tried to offload my old tat, only for you to find something better...
Fair play, credit where credit is due although you are offering up far from tat.

Back