Merlin Titanium, with a twist

kanerdog1x1

Senior Retro Guru
After having owned my Merlin Mountain for a long while and giving it a spruce up, I found this little beauty on eBay over the xmas holiday.

XDeFv04m.jpg

Now, it was listed well and the photos were good, but was way too spendy. It might have been worth the asking price if split, but the build looked like a weight weenies wet dream rather than a functional bike. I made a deal with the seller for the frame and headset only, it wasn't a bargain, but I feel it was a fair price. Add in how helpful the seller was, I am very happy.

It arrived safely this morning, and I have just spent the last hour or so giving it a spruce up and check over. All is well.

Re:

Eh7yYHHl.jpg

Decals are stickers rather than dry tap, but look ok for now. At least they are the proper joined ME type. There is a rather nice metal headbadge, not sure if this will stay.

Ok, so sizing is near identical to my other one, as follows:-

Seat tube, c-c 16&1/4, c-t18&1/4, 1&3/8 od.
Tope tube, 21&1/2 actual, 1&3/8 od.
Down tube, 1&1/2 od.
Headtube, 36.75mm od, 101mm long.
BB 68mm english.
Chain stays, 16&1/2 long at he shortest length, with 3/4 rearward scope. 7/8 od.
Seat stays, 3/4 od.
Seat post 27.2mm.
Seat collar is alu, very lovely, and fits so perfectly.

Weight is 3lb 9oz with the king headset pressed in. The weight along with the 3/4 seat stays make it a Mountain rather than the XLM advertised. Interestingly, no frame number, so I can't accurately date it. The seller mentioned it had red decals originally, which would date it late 1997 or 1998.

Some pics.

s2hQzS6l.jpg

cEWIcB0l.jpg

xp4MNb6l.jpg

vIUEwGZl.jpg

uRIAyoal.jpg

QjChVBRl.jpg

5irsnunl.jpg

Re:

I think so, because they look like the dropouts used on other Merlin frames. Also there is no evidence of there having been any redundant cable stops removed. It is difficult to compare though, I can only find images of one other example on Google.

Started to collect parts for the build, most I have already, only a few pieces missing.

That’s one graceful lookin beauty
Workmanship is exquisite

Re:

Cheers fans.

Swung by the LBS this morning, took the frame in for show&tell. Pretty much just pointed out that the headset was in crooked.

Here's a trick to stop the headset cup flying across the room when you drift it out.

RQyPXCRl.jpg

And back in. This is the press I made some 15 years ago.

64bIWrSl.jpg

Just need to find some forks now.

Re:

Two mini projects achieved today. Number one, recover a saddle.

hsAuzJIl.jpg

Part way through. It was a Flite alps, in pretty rough shape. Its currently trimmed and the glue is drying off with that plug to keep the nose tucked in.

SUPUoJ3l.jpg

And a chain tug. Experience has told me I only need one for a bike with rim brakes. All titanium, apart from the wing nut. I'll replace that with a stainless one when I find one.

kIaWTlql.jpg

RAxLXbhl.jpg

VZ44ooml.jpg

b8wBakql.jpg

Back