MERCIAN KING OF MERCIA TOURING BIKE 60CM (1989)

afrobadger

Retro Newbie
*BIKE NOW SOLD*

This beautiful Mercian was built in March 1989 (frame No. 17189) and has now been stripped and professionally rebuilt using a mixture of original and new high spec components. If you’re looking for something unique to turn heads around town or on L’Eroica then this is the bike for you.

Specification:
Reynolds 531c frame with Campagnolo dropouts - 60cm (c-t) and 59cm (c-c)
Tange 'Mercian' headset *Original*
Velo Orange Grand Cru Randonneur drop handlebars 44cm *New*
Brooks leather handlebar tape (Honey) *New*
Dia-Compe ENE hole-in quill stem (80mm) *New*
Velo Orange Grand Cru seat post (long set back) 27.2mm x 300mm *New*
Brooks Swift saddle (Honey) *New*
700c Mavic A319 25mm touring rims with 32H Shimano Deore hubs and skewers *New*
700 x 28c Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres (London Special Edition) *New*
700c Continental inner tubes *New*
Rim tape *New*
Velo Orange stainless steel mudguards 45mm *New*
Weinmann non-aero brakes with safety levers *Original*
Shimano cantilever brakes *Original*
Velo Orange metal weave brake cable housing *New*
Shimano bottom bracket *New*
Stronglight triple chainset *Original*
Suntour SVX downtube friction shifters (band on) *Original*
Suntour SVX front/rear dérailleur (band on) *Original but with new SS jockey wheels*
8 speed cassette *New* (one cog blocked out)
Chain *New*
Brake & gear cables *New*
Dérailleur cable housing *New*
Leather chainstay protector *New*
MKS BM-7 pedals *New*
Blackburn rear pannier rack *Original*

Also included in this sale are the original purchase invoice and specification documents.

This bike had been dry stored for a number of years and when I bought it and it was clear that there were lots of miles left in the original chainset. All of the existing parts that I decided to reuse were removed, polished and replaced. The original headset was also completely smooth and in great condition so I decided to keep it. I then spent a lot of time (much more than I had hoped!) researching and sourcing the best parts to compliment the existing components.

Please note that although I have stated that some parts are new in the specification above, I have ridden about 50 miles on the bike since the rebuild, just to check everything is working correctly. My intention was to highlight the components that have been replaced so please be aware that some of these parts may show some slight signs of wear.

The 60cm Reynolds 531c frame is ideal for a rider between 5'11" and 6' 4" in height. It features Campagnolo dropouts and a variety of braze-ons including: cantilever brake bridges, lamp boss (front fork), brake cable guides, bottle cage bosses and rear rack bosses. The frame is in good condition for it’s age and is structurally sound but there are some scratches/chips from normal use (see pics) - please keep in mind that the frame and some of the components are 26 years old. The frame and original components have all been given a thorough clean and I have put protective film (easily removable) over some of the paint chips, to protect against rust.

The Brooks saddle still has it’s original shape and is not broken in at all (otherwise I wouldn't include it). I have also treated it several times with Brooks leather treatment as per manufacturer’s guidelines. There is some very light colour fading on the leather but it is hardly noticeable. The Blackburn pannier rack is slightly bent but still functions perfectly and looks fine. I would have liked to replace it but I ran out of budget.

This rebuild project really has been a labour of love and it has taken a considerable amount of my time and money (far more money than I'm asking for it). The reason for sale is that I have caught the restoration bug and, after much deliberation, I have decided to sell this bike so that I can make way for the next project.

Viewings are welcomed as this bike has to be seen to be fully appreciated. If a sale is agreed and my travel costs are covered, I can potentially deliver the bike within a reasonable distance. The bike can be viewed in/collected from Battersea (SW11).

£800 - PM me if you're interested.

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    270.7 KB · Views: 1,389
Back