Mercian cycles call it a day .

I tried to book a frame in with them for painting recently and they never got back to me. I did think it was odd as I've used them before. After a couple of emails went unanswered I ended up going elsewhere.

Very sad to hear.

Prices are rising already!!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
My very first 'lightweight' as a 14yr old in 1981 was a secondhand Mercian, 531sl tubing. It was orange and white. Bought from Rutland Cycles, North Frederick St. Dublin. I raced it for 6 years.

Mercians were very popular in Ireland at the time. Sean Kelly rode one as a junior when winning the senior All-Ireland road title in the 1970s. Or around that time anyway.

Sad news as I’d recently got some Campag Shamal spokes nipples etc which you couldn’t get anywhere else…as they stocked a few hard to get older Campagnolo spares..

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Prices are rising already!!

And yet... In April/May N&V of the VCC there's one for sale @ £175! Reading. Page 33

Nothing mercian has sold in the last several months for over 750, apart from this:
Screenshot_20240524-075959_eBay.jpg
Course we don't know what bongos took as an offer, but that's a pretty retro piece.

That's a shame.
I got into cycling at a young age, going with the family on rides with our local cycling club. I always remember the guy that had a really nice looking Mercian. That's what they meant to me.

I don't think there will be a big raise in the sales of second hand frames . If they aren't selling already at fair prices.
The retro market is dying a slow death .

Back