Mavic 3G freewheel & bearings

Tom MJ

Retro Newbie
Hi folks. Have got my paws on a Mavic 3G which seems in good condition, but the bearings are rough, to the point there’s only a little bit of movement in the axle. I ‘think’ the Shimano cassette lock ring remover I have fits into the splines in the freewheel, but I didn’t want to force it. Is this what I should be using to get this off? How can I actually get to the bearings too? I can unscrew the end of the axle on the freewheel side (removed in pic), but not sure how to proceed further... All thoughts appreciated! B0714599-D163-4E09-B624-DAE83C288178.jpeg C055876A-6DB1-449E-ACCD-65CE17A65D27.jpeg

I can't remember if the Shimano tool is the same as the Sachs one. I do have fairly extensive experience getting these things off though, and they can get very stuck on. The tool needs to be a VERY good fit or you'll shred the splines on the freewheel and then it'll be much harder to get off, so make sure you've got the right one!

Once you've got the freewheel off, it looks like you'll need a pin wrench to undo the caps. The bearings should be under those.

Back