Marzocchi fork servicing

sandgrown

Retro Newbie
Hi there everybody,
I've been a very long time lurker here and thoroughly enjoyed the different build threads and getting very jealous looking at very nice components.

Anyhow, I've got a 2009 Marzocchi Bomber Z1 Sport that is in serious need of some TLC, it doesn't hold hair in the preload leg anymore and needs an oil and seal change throughout. This is way above my level of expertise and garage cleanliness to solve, so can anybody recommend a shop that will be able to service them for me? I've tried TF Tuned, Silverfish and Silk Suspension and been told that they can't do it.

Someone help please!

have you tried your local bike shop? the tuning places aren't going to be interested if they can't upsell you on the latest and greatest. a 2009 z1 is pre fox getting their grubby mitts on Marzocchi, so it's pretty easy to service to be honest. think 2009 was the same design as 2006, so open bath with no cartridge, air over spring in both legs. find yourself a shop with an owner mechanic who's been around for more than 5 minutes and ask. normal cause of air chamber failing is a passing seal on the piston rod or a dead Schrader valve, both are jelly bean parts and easy enough to get off the peg from a scooter/moped dealer.

heres the manual for the 2006 if it's any help.

have you tried your local bike shop? the tuning places aren't going to be interested if they can't upsell you on the latest and greatest. a 2009 z1 is pre fox getting their grubby mitts on Marzocchi, so it's pretty easy to service to be honest. think 2009 was the same design as 2006, so open bath with no cartridge, air over spring in both legs. find yourself a shop with an owner mechanic who's been around for more than 5 minutes and ask. normal cause of air chamber failing is a passing seal on the piston rod or a dead Schrader valve, both are jelly bean parts and easy enough to get off the peg from a scooter/moped dealer.

heres the manual for the 2006 if it's any help.

Thanks for the reply Novocaine. Living in Blackpool, there's a dearth of bike shops that can service the forks locally to me. Bounce in Preston seems to have stopped trading so no joy there. It really does need a full overhaul and like I said, I don't think I've got the skills or tools to sort it out and I'd rather have a professional job done. Maybe time to look for another second hand fork...

- Merlin cycles in Chorley (not sure if they still have a workshop)
- Leisure lakes cycles (they have 2 shops, the guys at mere brow used to be spot on).
- Winstanley bikes in Wigan.

all a little bit of a trek from Blackpool but not to bad. give them a bell and explain your predicament, especially your experience with the tuning places.

more local, try practical cycles in Marton Fold or CJs in Cleveleys. The spanner monkey at CJs used to be pretty good.

Before Cytech, both RS and Marzocchi had there own service training, this was adsorbed in the UK with Cytech, so any tech3 should be able to service your forks, they are some of the simplest internals around.

Back