Marzocchi Bomber Z1 1998/9

Retromike80

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I've got a couple of pairs of Marzocchi bomber Z1 forks from around 1998/9 both of which have failed on the oil seals and need a rebuild.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to get replacement seals/service kits? Not worried if they are original seals etc - just want them to work again.

RWC sells 30mm seals, they also sell ARI (Ariette) 30mm seals in black of you don't like they're blue seals.

I'd guess you can find RWC seals locally online, not sure about ARI.

I'm currently in a project of reproduction of the Bomber 30mm seals, both classic and M-Arch. I did this with 24 and 26mm seals with excellent results. You can read about on my site.

I tried all the 'alternatives' and the reason I'm doing this reproduction is, that all alternatives (Enduro, ARI, others with same dimensions) failed (not correct dimensions, no/fail sceleton, don't hold preassure etc.) and I want my both Z1 working, not leaking.
You will hear the same answer from professional bike stores.

I already managed to create the 30 mm tools (slider protector & oil seal insertion tool) and I'm planing to sell those together with the seals in a kit for less.

I'm currently having about 50 reservations for 30mm seal kits so happy me this will not become a financial desaster ;-)
Feel free to add your name to the reservation list.

That's awesome that you're making new seals. But I've rebuild 15+ Z1's and Z2's with RWC blue seals & 1 with ARI's. Saying all of those don't fit and leak is a little disingenuous. All 30mm. Never had a leak, never had a fitment issue.

Not saying those are ideal, I'd love to get some green SKF's if they made them :)

eshew":2vk5u1ff said:
...Saying all of those don't fit and leak is a little disingenuous. All 30mm....

No, that's my experience. And I had a lot of talks to bike shops over the years and they are not happy with the alternatives. Fact.

Well it's never a great sales tactic to talk down your competition. Especially when they have decades experience more than you. I've never had an issue with RWC 15+ Z1's and Z2s, Dorado's, 44's 55's. That's ALL personal experience not 2nd hand.

Perhaps, could you give some insight into the materials and design that make your seals better?

I followed your link to the website, specifically with 30mm reservation link. While I don't agree with you that RWC are complete shite, I do agree I would like a better alternative. Very well written & thought out. Can't wait to see the product!

Back