Marzo Bomber internals tech question...

TOMAS

Senior Retro Guru
So i'm about to fit some superb condition/barely used '98 Bomber Z2s to a build i'm doing...

Earlier today I totally stripped and serviced these with fresh oil, work perfectly fine, however just had a thought... i've got another set of bomber Z3's light (also 70mm) stuffed away that are in bits, missing a crown and few other bits.. however the damper cartridge inside appears to be totally fine...

Could I swap out the internals from my Z2s dummy leg and instal the damper cartridge, thus effectively making them into a Z1 but at the Z2 70mm travel?

Now im not sure if im just making more work for myself and also making the fork heavier, i'm not sure if I'll gain any greater performance either, has anyone done this or any thoughts?

Re:

The Z2 is designed to be damped by just the one damper cartridge.. the shorter travel also doesnt really warrant an 'extra' damper either..

the only time you *might* get a benefit is if you are using extra heavy springs / high air pressure and needed to to wind the damper all the way to maximum.. but even in that scenario.. i would just switch to a heavier weight oil..

look at modern forks too.. they almost exclusively now just use one leg for a spring.. and one for the damper now..

so you will just be adding extra un-needed weight really..

the dual dampers in the Z1 where probably just to reduce the cavitation effects on longer DH runs with the extra travel.. not something you would ever really suffer with the shorter travel fork..

there where a few aftermarket dampers out there for the Z1 too that gave you the standard rebound damper in one leg.. and a compression damper in the other..

Ahhh righty o, so in essence, leave as they are and dont bother with extra work. I'm 14stone kitted up and have upped the oil to 10wt, this has improved damping a lot, it was just an idea I had thinking why not as I think i've got all the bits to do it, but as you say, probably not worth it, extra work etc.

Latest posts

Back