1960s 'Martyn Young' 531 build

Last edited:

Could this be the man? Emigrated from Ayrshire, I think. EDIT reading further I think he may be too young to be the man. It's just I can't accept "no results" fron that upstart Google!
Good effort, but also the wrong spelling of Martyn. It is frustrating getting no results, yes 😬. It does seem most likely the Martyn in question was the rider, not the builder, though? Unless they built and rode their own bike, but then why have any serial number at all? It’s all a mystery.

Maybe built by an apprentice or something, is my only other guess.

I've got nearly all the bits out of storage. The only parts here to make it over from the previous build are the brake levers which are the engraved version of the Dia Compe Gran Compe levers (plus the Wright saddle not pictured here). I've ordered a matching skewer end for the front wheel as I realise these don't match at the moment.

The bars are NOS Ambrosio Campione del Mondo.

IMG_1027.jpg

Looking at the BB shell threads again, they are not looking too great despite being re-tapped, and in fact there's pretty much no thread at the edge on the drive-side.

The BB shell has presumably also been re-faced a few times as it's more like 66.5mm rather than the usual 68mm. Anyway, I've tried the BB I was planning to use, and that is not screwing in at all so it looks like I'll have to use one of those threadless 'frame saver' ones. A bit of shame seeing as I was hoping this build would be fairly period-correct, but as long as it all fits together and looks the part in the end that's okay. Fingers crossed.

I'm also not at all sure about the headset stack-height, so that could be another spanner in the works. We'll see...

The lug-lining and decals are now done. Good God, I hate doing large decals, but I just about managed to get these down-tube ones on okay. Neither those or the lug lining are perfect by any means, but I think they're decent enough. Of course they never look straight in any photos, but actually they are reasonably straight in real life, honest...

I feel like I've put the 531 decal a bit too low which is annoying me every time I look at it but I'll come to terms with that eventually. Placement does vary in general with those, so it's not too egregious.

The headset stack height looks to be okay for the steerer if I've measured correctly, so I'll be installing that next. 🤞

IMG_1380.jpg

Last edited:
Well, this build continues to be not entirely straightforward. I had measured the stack height for the headset correctly, but I’d forgotten to account for the brake cable hanger, and there is no room for it on the steerer. So, I either have to use a lower stack height headset, or ditch the idea of centre pull brakes.

Given how much I like the headset, and that I’m not really a fan of centre pulls anyway, I’m going to go back to side-pulls. Unfortunately this does mean that, as before, there will be an unused rear cable hanger on the frame, which is not ideal and slightly annoying- but I’m going to justify this by saying I’m keeping true to the history of the bike. Or something. The frame has also been drilled for recessed nut brakes, so it’s obviously been changed over time (perhaps this was done at the same time as adding the shifter bosses?).

IMG_1438.jpeg

On the plus side it seems like the Campagnolo bottom bracket will fit after all, although I’m by no means confident about how well the chainset will fit on it. Another potential sticking point.

It’s looking nice partly built up, anyway. And I managed to move the 531 decal up, so that is no longer nagging me.

IMG_1440.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back