Marin mount vision pro help

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I bought one fairly recently, not 100% sure of the year, the quad link version, silver frame, xt parts. The plan was to give it to my 13 year old who is tall for his age and needs a new bike as outgrown the pimped up hard rock I built.

The bike is really good in general, seems to have had very low use or well cared for, but that said, there is a little bit of play in the rear I'd like to sort.

I'm not sure where the play is coming from, probably a mm or 2. The best way I can describe it is I can lift the bike by the frame and feel a bit of a clunk. I can't see it visually so it's minimal.

Anyone have any advice on diagnosing where the play is coming from and also what the root cause it likely to be and how to remedy.

It's a medium frame though feels pretty large, it will probably fit me rather than my some (I'm 6ft), so I'm looking to fix and get him to try it out for size before deciding what to do with it.

I've got a 2010 quad link Marin - they're great bikes.

I've had the same issue on mine, re torque-ing the pivot bolts fixed it for me. From memory I think the lower shock mount tends to be most prone to working loose (maybe the rotation about this pivot is greater), but I just re torque all the bolts every six months or so, it's a quick job.

If that doesn't fix it, my money would be on the shock needing new bushes in the eyelets.

You should be able to feel where the play is by pinching the pivots between your fingers while moving the swingarm.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a whirl. Haven't had time to play with it yet, just noticed 2hen I threw it together on arrival.

It does seem a nice bike I have to say.

No probs!

The quad link 2 platform is really nice, good pedaling performance and stays active while on the rear brake.

They look dead cool too 😎

I have a Whyte 46 (same design) and had the same thing. It was a worn lower shock bushing. Unlikely to be one of the pivots as they were deliberately specified with very expensive bearings from new designed to last the life of the bike and around £5 each (not alot in real terms but quite a sum for a small 2RS bearing)

Back