Marin Frame Measurements (late 80/early 90's) - Guide?

g7jhp

Dirt Disciple
I've been trying to find a thread on the Marin frame measurements from late 80/early 90 bikes MTB's.

The common frame sizes seem to be 15.5", 17.5", 19" and 20.5".

I'm aware the frame size can be found in some Marin frame numbers.

The angles on the top end bikes are slightly different from the bottom of the range.

The measurements on Marin bikes also seem to be different from other makes.

Frame Size
A = Centre of Bottom bracket to centre of top tube (not the seat post)

Top Tube Length
B = Centre of stem to centre of seat tube

26002107758_92d9a3c556_z.jpg

On a 19" 1992 Marin Muirwoods the measurements are:
A = 19" Centre BB to TT (20.5" Centre BB to seat top)
B = 22.5" = Top Tube length

Can anyone add the measurements for (for future reference)?

15.5"
17.5"
20.5"

Thanks. :)

PM'd you the measurements for my 17.5 marin earlier as requested ;)

The 15 comes up as a 17, the 17 comes up as a 19, the 19 comes up as a 20 :)

quite a few manufacturers measure to the centre of the top tube, i usually go by the top tube length/reach and in relation to other bikes i have as to wether it will fit. Plus i tend to go for sloping top tubes which are usually measured to the top of the seat tube.

Mark

PM'd you the measurements for my 17.5 marin earlier as requested ;)

The 15 comes up as a 17, the 17 comes up as a 19, the 19 comes up as a 20 :)

quite a few manufacturers measure to the centre of the top tube, i usually go by the top tube length/reach and in relation to other bikes i have as to wether it will fit. Plus i tend to go for sloping top tubes which are usually measured to the top of the seat tube.

Mark
Hi Mark,

I am looking for some advice as I am looking at a 17.5 inch Marin team 1994. I am 5 foot 8inches (173cm), inseam around 30 inches..I know size is subjective but would you say that is too big? The Marin sizes seem odd and I’m a bit confused about them.

Thanks

Its going to be a long list as the frames changed each year pretty much! A 91 and 92 are quite different for example....

As mk one said, Marin measure c to c, so a 17.5" marin medium is actuall closer to 19" c to t. As for a 17.5" at 5'8. That sounds ok for trekking, but you might want a small if your going full norba head down, arse up race mad!

Im 6'4" and raced a 19" marin size....so 20.5" c to t. I now use the xl...as im old and dont bend as well 😂

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back