Making plans for Nigel

allenh

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
I couldn't resist really and as you've probably guessed dear reader this post is about a Nigel Dean Triathlon and what I plan to do with it.

I picked this little gem up from FB market place a little while back and I really really don't need any more bikes, but I do like Nigel's frames and am partial to blue so I couldn't leave it there. its in pretty nice condition, has 531 comp tubing and is the right size so will probably be a keeper.

It came with a mix of components, mostly Shimano 600 tricolour with some 105 and a bit of Campagnolo. The 600 and 105 on this is nice enough kit but of that period where the outer cog is threaded onto the outside of the cassette which limits what I can do with it cassette wise and is a little drab and grey looking, so first thoughts as I have a spare almost complete Campagnolo Veloce 8 speed group which I would say is period correct is that I might build this as all Campagnolo. I know the cassette choices for Campy 8 speed are also a bit limited but I have a suitable brand new one and they are more available than the Shimano system that's on it now.

My other option is to move a later 105 Octalink group from another bike that doesn't get any use as its a bit big for me. That age of 105 I think is a superb group and one of my favourites, but I am leaning toward keeping it period with the Campagnolo.

So any other ideas other then going with a lot more modern kit which I don't really want to do.
IMG_20230702_171751.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions but in the end my inner magpie won and I went with the shiny Campy Veloce group because I still think that 600 kit just looks drab in comparison. With a bike of this vintage I don't really think too much black and grey looks right, there's too much black and grey in the world today to my mind so this one will hopefully stand out on the crowd

I also much prefer the Campy brifters with all the cables being routed around the bars.
IMG_20230704_184135.jpg

Yeah..i'd go with tri colour 600 too. With yellow (gear) & white (brake) outer cables to match the graphic.
I like the idea of differing colour cable outers, never thought of that before but I think it would be more effective with Shimano rather than Campagnolo brifters and I had the pale blue to hand for this one, I might end up doing that on another build though.

Back