Maguras with narrow fork/stays and large tyres

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I don't have enough room to fit the adjustable "posts" between stay and tyre. are there any other solutions other than a narrower tyre?

I only have the original type. The tyres I have are a little large anyway, I will try with something a little narrower first. Hopefully I won't need the evo2 adaptors, at 30 quid a wheel... 😖 plus, they're a little on the fugly side, the original maguras look a lot better!

Ok, so I've been experimenting this afternoon. First, stud to stud measurement is 80mm. I am using Mavic D521 rims which measure 28.5mm wide.

With a Geax AKA 26 X 2.2" tyre, there is no room at all.
With a panaracer Dart 26 X 2.1" there is aprox 1mm clearance between the magura studs and the tyre.
With a michelin 26 X 1.4" XC road slick, there is 5mm clearance each side.

So I'm thinking I might be able to fit a 1.8", depending on make.... I have a few more tyres I can try too, but they're all on bikes at the moment

More experiments....

A no name 26 X 2.1" tyre gives about 1.5mm each side
An Onza Rip 1.9" gives 2mm, which doesn't sound a lot but looking at it, it's enough

Possibly, but I have enough lateral adjustment with the pads, the problem seems to be that the magura adjustable studs need to go right where the widest part of the tyre is, there is little room for adjustment with them because the fork blades are not 100% MTB blades, they're on my Yates. A tyre larger than 2.0" is really too large for the frame too, I only had them fitted as they were all I had that were suitable for some off road and gravel riding. The bike is a long distance tourer with some dirt track capability, so designed for the appropriate tyres. When I toured down under I had vredestein spyders, long distance touring tyres, I think they were 1.75". Shame they don't make them anymore

And you have tried with the Magura locating fingers pointing down rather than up? I know what you mean, it's a lot of metal close to the tyre - I was always having to chop off the booster tips for the same reason.

Yes they're already pointing down. Booster tabs are already bent. Schwalbe and Michelin do some decent tyres in 26 x 1.75, I can get a pair of basic Michelin Country rock for less than 25 quid delivered so think I will try those

Back