m739 shifter problems

Pfennig

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi

Can anyone help me, I have a set of XT M739 shifters and the left one doesn't seem to :

a) to pull enough gear cable to move the front mech across all three chainrings, or

b) to get the second and third indicators on the top of the shifter to turn red without pushing and holding the thumb lever 'that litle bit further'

it seems to me that they are worn and need stripping down/refurbing. Does anyone have any experience of doing this? or is it me being a nonce and not setting up the front mech/shifter up correctly?

cheers

Mark

the indicator is not of paramount importance ! there is a sort of needle attached to the indicator that fits in the shifter mechanism and it is sometimes not straight or worn as it is plastic. I would not worry about that. Unless you are a "maniac" and want to check and make sure on which ring you are ;)

about dismantling it - I have always been wary as it may be the "devil in a box" issue.
You open , small parts jump everywhere and you are left with a nice puzzle :cry:
would try the WD40 first ;)

I'm with CCE, WD40 does miracles with sti sets. Just spray in the sti unit, and start clicking. After a few times it should be back to life.

Good luck.
Cheers

aaah, i see. Take it apart = opening pandoras box! I won't do that then. WD40 will be used!!

thanks for your help

If you have indicators on the shifters wouldn't they be M740's?

Anyway, to my point. I had a pair of M739's, right one had a problem, fully dismantled found the offending part, bought an M740 left shifter, used the donor part and all was well, they are quite simple really.

I still have all the other bits for the M740 left shifter that I bought. It is missing the indicator but is otherwise pretty much complete, yours for a fiver if you find the WD40 doesn't work and you feel like taking on the job.

Martin":2evu1vf6 said:
I'm with CCE, WD40 does miracles with sti sets. Just spray in the sti unit, and start clicking. After a few times it should be back to life.

As above. Works everytime.

DO NOT take it apart as already said. I took apart a SRAM X9 mech once.......never again.........

:twisted: :LOL:

Back