Lowering travel on modern fork (asking for a friend)

Beeewu

Retro Guru
Is there anyway of lowering the travel from 100mm to 60-70mm…or would the forks just look weird.
Thanks
B

Not sure myself, but i wonder if its even possible, ill wait with you.
As there is a bottoming-out limit to them, where, tyre vs crown can occur.

Yes you can change travel depending on what fork. But usually only to match what is available.

Ie - A 150mm pike can be made 160mm

Depends on the fork and how the travel is adjusted. For dual air 32mm rock shox like Reba, Sid, you can add travel spacers (or plastic washers) to the air side. For solo air, it's an air shaft change to reduce travel, but not sure how easy it would be to find an air damper in 80mm which would be as low as they went.

Not sure on the 28mm versions, or other brands, or coil forks.

I've done it many a time on the 32mm dual air rock shox (Sid and Reba) and also solo air revelations.

Forks don't look weird, just shorter travel. I think they look better on a retro frame than retro forks which is why I do it, beefier, modern looking, plush, better all round and easier to service/get parts for at least and if you do t service them yourself, you can find many places that will do it for you.

Depends on the fork and how the travel is adjusted. For dual air 32mm rock shox like Reba, Sid, you can add travel spacers (or plastic washers) to the air side. For solo air, it's an air shaft change to reduce travel, but not sure how easy it would be to find an air damper in 80mm which would be as low as they went.

I've done it many a time on the 32mm dual air rock shox (Sid and Reba) and also solo air revelations.

Forks don't look weird, just shorter travel. I think they look better on a retro frame than retro forks which is why I do it, beefier, modern looking, plush, better all round and easier to service/get parts for at least and if you do t service them yourself, you can find many places that will do it for you.
That’s sounds awesome, will have a look online on how to do it..the spacer option seems a simpler route for me….thanks again for the knowledge 👌

Hi mate @ishaw , is there a specific travel on fork that would be best to buy and then shorten

I've done it on an early 2000's Manitou that had springs in it. The fork was one I had laying around but was too tall for a bike I was building. I don't recommend doing it. Why not just buy the appropriate fork?

I've done it on an early 2000's Manitou that had springs in it. The fork was one I had laying around but was too tall for a bike I was building. I don't recommend doing it. Why not just buy the appropriate fork?
Some forks are designed to have travel adjusted, I doubt the manitou coil fork you used was designed for such things.

Back