Lotus Sport MTB (Shropshire)

Joe*Pro

Senior Retro Guru
Don’t see these often…

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thats a nice find. My dad used to have this bike and if he still rode a bike then this bike would be a nostalgia trip for him

Nice. I like the contrasting seat and chainstays. Entry level beauty to be honest, components probably bombproof anyhow.. Had an 2000 entry level Giant alu bike kitted with Alivio that I rode constantly, old Alivio never failed me.

I found this by accident looking for a 110 road bike…..and bought it.

It’s in pretty good condition for a 28 year old bike and the patina it has, makes it even better.

All original and the same owner since new. It a tribute to the owner.

Of course there’s a reason why it piqued my interest…..

I worked at Lotus Engineering between 1991 & 1995.

When Chris Boardman won his gold medal at the Barcelona Olympics, Lotus decided to capitalise on the publicity and launched a range of bikes manufactured by British Eagle.

IIRC they offered 3 or 4 models in limited qtys, using a common base frame with differing group sets.

As an employee I had the option to buy one, but decided on a bespoke Orange Clockwork instead.

Fast forward 28 years and I’ve accomplished my original goal of owning a Lotus bike….

Yes, design started just before I left. Originally named as the “step in car” the original Elise was designed to have partial doors like the BMW Z1.

The initial chassis / body layout was done by one the vehicle designers in his lunchtime, between client projects that paid the bills.

Back