Wanted Looking for a nice frame to start a new build

joper

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone!
Just came to UK, left my bike back in Berlin and want to build up a 90s MTB into a nice tarmac/forest allrounder for the chill rides and putting up the hammock.
I already looked through a lot of pages, but since so many things in UK are new to me, I need some offers, maybe even a started project to finish.

I am looking for:
Either a frame/fork or a full bike, with focus on the frameset - mix and matching frame and fork is fine if it works to my eye, but after just arriving in this country means I want to start slow and easy, not hunting down every single part.

17.5-20 inch (i'm 5ft10 with a 33-34" inseam), no suspension, original paint definitely preferred, good condition a must, but a little surface rust and scratches don't hurt me. Maybe aluminium, but eyeing for steel.
GTs can be nice, but I'm more into everything Hardrock etc., or a good condition older muddy fox prestige comp. Not picky about brands, but picky about looks, materials and condition.

Located in London, but willed to do train drives if it's worth it to me.
Hoping for your help and offers everyone, thanks in advance!

Edit: intended cost for the full build is 600ish £, let's see if I manage that.

Last edited:
Hello mate, sorry I don't have what you are looking for, just giving you a bump to keep your thread visible, no doubt someone will come along with something that will be perfect for you.

By the way I think you make the right choice going for a rigid steel platform, if you get something nice it'll be ideal for the kind of riding you describe, these 90's mtb's are pretty much the most versatile bikes you can get, the geometry is well suited to all kinds of riding, and anything made from Tange, Prestige, Columbus cro-mo etc that has no structural damage will serve you well, hitting the sweet spot between lightness, durability and comfort.

Good luck with finding a project that inspires you 👍

Hello mate, sorry I don't have what you are looking for, just giving you a bump to keep your thread visible, no doubt someone will come along with something that will be perfect for you.

By the way I think you make the right choice going for a rigid steel platform, if you get something nice it'll be ideal for the kind of riding you describe, these 90's mtb's are pretty much the most versatile bikes you can get, the geometry is well suited to all kinds of riding, and anything made from Tange, Prestige, Columbus cro-mo etc that has no structural damage will serve you well, hitting the sweet spot between lightness, durability and comfort.

Good luck with finding a project that inspires you 👍
Thanks mate!
thanks for confirming my plans, i was eyeing for exactly that. :)
Enjoyed them myself for the past years, the new thing for me are gears which I haven't had in 10 years and never built a bike with so far.
Well I'll get the hang of it soon...

Hey everyone!
So, got a Giant GSR 300 now - unusual choice, but the frame is in beautiful condition and something you don't see pushed to new standards every day.

Already have most parts on the way, but am hunting for a Seatpost 25.4/25.5 diameter - either silver or something fancy - please offer if you have something!

I'll start looking and ask for parts to update the drivetrain/cockpit as soon as I know all measurements, let's start slow - however if someone has a stem for threaded that is in the 60-100mm range, that might be something for me here too - going all silver on parts, but with the stem the design might be the bigger factor, i try to avoid ahead adapters and keep it sleak and simple if possible. Removable faceplate would be nice to open up my handlebar options!

thanks everyone!

Hey everyone!
So, got a Giant GSR 300 now - unusual choice, but the frame is in beautiful condition and something you don't see pushed to new standards every day.

Already have most parts on the way, but am hunting for a Seatpost 25.4/25.5 diameter - either silver or something fancy - please offer if you have something!

I'll start looking and ask for parts to update the drivetrain/cockpit as soon as I know all measurements, let's start slow - however if someone has a stem for threaded that is in the 60-100mm range, that might be something for me here too - going all silver on parts, but with the stem the design might be the bigger factor, i try to avoid ahead adapters and keep it sleak and simple if possible. Removable faceplate would be nice to open up my handlebar options!

thanks everyone!
Nice, why not start a build thread for it and provide plenty of pics, it would be nice to see how the build unfolds 👍

Nice, why not start a build thread for it and provide plenty of pics, it would be nice to see how the build unfolds 👍
maybe not plenty of pics, but I will for sure do my best about it and get some quality ones of the stages and finals - and some desperate ones of my hickups with the groupset/shifting. :D

Shame I didn't see this earlier, as I have a really nice steel early 90's Trek 950. It comes with pretty much everything except tyres from the original catalogue spec. I'm not local but could have posted. Sounds like you have a nice build on the way, good luck with that.

I’ve just seen this, I have a 1995 Marin Team frame, fork and stem in a size that would suit

Hey there! Sorry for being quite, work. -.-
That Trek 950 would've fit my bill, but I already got the Giant now... needs some more work, but I am on it. :)

Back