Long shot for identification.

Rhubarb

Retro Newbie
This pic is of my Dad taken in 1939, he was a keen cyclist in his youth and is now 99. There's not much to go on the photo is very small. Almost certainly a British bike he was a member of CTC possibly in Mitcham.

I PXL_20210727_181619931.jpg t might be, gut feelings etc most welcome.🙂
Many thanks.

My first thought was F W Evans. Clearly a classy bike, and Evans had a CTC connection.
What lightweight cycle shops were in his local area?

Keith

Many thanks for your reply Keith, good idea I will do some research on what might have been the local dealers.
Dad doesn't have much recollection of the bike he would have been 17 at the time , his father had an engineering company that amongst other things made rollers for indoor cycling equipment so there may have been connections there. I was hoping with a bit of a nudge some more might come back.

There is a brand name on the downtube but doesn't look familiar to me. However, I'm not all that familiar with London area brands from that era. In those days the names were made so that they were recognisable without necessarily being able to read them fully. All to get round the 'amateurism' regulations that if your photo was printed in a magazine and the name on the frame was legible then you could well be declared non-amateur and barred from racing. My initial thought was possibly Hobbs?

Thanks Old Ned, that's interesting about the logo, I think I will try and get a high resolution scan done of the photo and then see if photo shop or similar will sharpen it up.

There were a few local bike builders near Mitcham in the late 30’s. Might have been EF Russ or Claud Butler. Trying to remember who the earlier ones were. I think Geoffrey Butler in Croydon opened later.

Back