LONG MYND IN MARCH

First proper ride since, since cycling began as a hobby or at least last summer. Probably the 2nd toughest ride on the National Calendar too.

Some extreme gradients meant a ride walk ride. Some extreme wind meant ride walk ride, often downhill. Extreme rain meant hide walk ride. Extreme rain/ wind meant some of the most grumpiest ramblers known to christendom but at least some waved. Some very patient well insulated drivers too as we bumbled past in sideways rain.

Did I say sideways rain? I ended up enjoying every moment of it despite a lack of fitness making it a walk for many miles. The weather was exhilarating, too euphoric to be knackered and I'd forgotten the views. And plenty of Haribo / Jelly babies.

It was great to meet up with everyone, they made my long suffering neighbour Stephen very welcome and he did pretty well for his first 'proper' MTB ride (8 flat miles around Grafham dont count!). And Stephens bike held up well despite it being built by me.

My own bike wasnt bad either despite a failing rear shock towards the end plus a squishy rear end. Lack of any mudguards/ crud catcher meant it was mostly a cycling b-day for most of the ride. Very refreshing.

Its a shame that theres no National Rides this year despite it being the RB tenth anniversary but, I look forward to gatecrashing more local area rides instead.

Thanks to All!

Re:

Great day's riding yesterday. I'm sure I did see the sun towards the end too.

A challenging route made even more of a challenge by the wind and rain. When one ear gets filled with icy cold water and you can use your waterproof jacket as a sail, you know how strong the wind is.
Fantastic descents though, especially that last one.

Many thanks to Rob for his great work as usual in putting together a great route, organising the pub stop and generally being the perfect host.

Who needs a national series when the 'local' rides are as good as this...?

The next big 'local' ride or indeed 'classic' ride will be based around Coniston in the Lake District in May.
As always, keep checking the rides calendar for updates.

My thanks to everyone for getting out of bed an hour early and driving considerable distances to a ride that promised to be arduous, in weather conditions forecast to be very wet and very windy, and then to have a hold up on the M54. True retrobike grit.
The delayed start and the wind played havoc with the morning's intended route, and having survived the zig-zag without injury the priority became getting to the pub close to the agreed time. The downhill into the wind was never part of the plan, nor was the road climb.
The pub was great. Although we've used it in the past it has changed managers and become slightly posher. Having done everything in my power to let them know numbers, orders and what was being paid you just never know how 16 muddy, wet, and probably smelly mountainbikers with helmets and backpacks are going to be received. We will certainly return.
Starting to relax with the help of the ale I thought how good it would be if the wind dropped a little, the sky cleared and we could get good views off the top. And low and behold... it happened.
So back up the earlier descent, but with the wind now helping. I'm sure I used higher gears climbing than I had descending. Along the top with views, and then my only problem was keeping Gav, Phil et al from hurtling off into the distance before they could be steered onto the right-hand single-track for the final run down to the ravine. Just made it.

Particular respect goes to Stephen and Dave who couldn't have known what they were letting themselves in for. Thanks to John for acting as back-marker.

This ride had a really interesting chunk omitted. The complete route in better conditions should provide a 30% greater grin-factor than yesterday.
I'm determined to do this route , and can justify it to Mrs rc200ti as training for the trans Cambrian. If it proves as good as it promises to be then you all know where next years Mynd ride will be going.
How I love that hill.

Re:

What Fantastic day out.
Steep hills and refreshing ice cold rain storms I think my character must enriched by the whole experience. Great Food and tasty beer.
Nice one Rob and good to see all.

Re:

Set off from Preston at 06.45 and traveled down via Solihull (had to pick up a bike) then onto the M54 which was closed just making it to the carpark before 10.30. Sorry if we held things up, the road block cost me a good half hour.
The weather was looking grim, I was expecting it to be one of those head down wait till its over rides, but was very surprised and the overall outcome was that I thoroughly enjoyed myself, It's been too long since the last meet. Great to return to the pub stop again and thanks to Rob for setting up the route and lunch arrangements.
Good to see you all, and hopefully see some of you up at the Lakes rides in May.

Back