Life sucks!

Thanks for the kind and thoughtful comments, means so much to me that I can talk about it instead of bottling it up inside and have cried several times now, I heard last night that my nephew now has a lung infection which is now causing him to breath very erratically, he was also heavily sedated but his body continuously jerks, the doctors said this is not normal and after such a heavy dose the human body would relax but because his brain is so severely damaged, his brain can't control his body, last night the consultants wanted to turn off the machine and let him rest and go, but his mother [understandably] went crazy hitting the doctor and the doctor left and another doctor came in with the same advice! Its easy for them to just let him go but not for the family.

If he does survive he will be never be the same as he will never be able to do anything for himself, so for the best the machine does need to be turned off, but who will do it ? Would it be family or a doctor ? nobody is clear as to who will do it!

This is my nephew by the way and his name is Joshua, such a bubbly bloke....

Attachments

• 1484207_10152042173248904_254442016_n.jpg
    1484207_10152042173248904_254442016_n.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 209
I know I could never make the decision regarding my own 21 year old, I'm not the closest mother in the world with my children but it would tear me to shreds if he were in your nephews situation, my heart really goes out to his mother and family and to you.

Alison

Re:

I think a great deal of people on here must have read this thread, not really knowing how to respond - me for one.
As a father of 3 I cannot imagine a worse situation for a parent or close relative to be in. It must be aweful beyond comprehension.

For a doctor, the logical thing must be to let him go, but logic doesn't come into it with something like this and the medical staff ought to understand that. I hope he's not in pain or aware of anything.

The only thing I can add is just be there for your brother and his family and try to remind them of the happy times rather than sad ones.

My brother hung himself 11 years ago, a week after my sister got married and a week before I was due to move to Germany so I've got a fair idea what you could be going through. I could go into more detail but that's not for here. I don't know what to say apart from it's so sad to hear and you're more than welcome to get in touch if you want to.
Stay strong.
Steve

Oh my, thats horrible, my sympathies to you all, truly devastating!

Ive been in some very dark places in my life and have contemplated ending it all before now, takes a hell of a lot to get you into a place so dark, but im so glad i didnt!!

Spudly":2ii9z4ql said:
Oh my, thats horrible, my sympathies to you all, truly devastating!

Ive been in some very dark places in my life and have contemplated ending it all before now, takes a hell of a lot to get you into a place so dark, but im so glad i didnt!!

I did it :facepalm: woke up days later strapt to everything and told how lucky I was. I didn't think so at the time now I know how lucky I am. I hope he will know this.

Alison

Re:

Wow. I don't know what to say. I can't even begin to imagine what you and the rest of the family must be going through at the moment. :(

I will say this however - for the doctors and medical staff looking after your nephew, it will NEVER be a simple, easy decision about what to do. We see a lot of medical staff coming through the service I work for (primary mental health) as a result of having to make decisions like this. I wish people would realise that it's not just a simple "yes/no" and leave it at that. It affects everybody involved, both personally and professionally.

I wish you, your nephew and your family all the best. Be strong.

My nephew died late this morning, at least he is at rest now.

Thanks for the kind words guys and only time is a healer now, my brother seams to be coping well, in front of me anyway.

Re:

My condolences to you friend, sympathies to you and your family, at least he now isn't suffering, be strong, your brother will need you right now :-(

Back