Levers for V brake and U brake

xxnick1975

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Just bought an old Fire Mountian, to build something akin to a Islabike Benin 26 for my 11 year old.

Would quite like to use some modern Avid V brakes I have spare but obviously the rear end plumbing is for a U brake.

Obviously I could have a Canti up front, or mis matched levers, but just wondered if there was any other work around.

I have a NOS roller cam I could use in the rear if that makes any difference but presumably not!

Theres hardly any dual pull type levers that will do cantilever for the u-brake and v-brake.

file.php

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re dual levers

Nice solution. Didn’t know there were such things, so thanks for the intel.

Searching I Have found some on SJS - seem to be a BMX thing.

But they are £35 which is more than I want to spend really.

Re:

Ay caramba, not sure there is a solution, maybe its the wrong frame and you'll need to off load.......... ;)

see here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=414412 re v levers and canti brakes. Bit with travel adjusters but I don't know enough about how U brakes cabling works unless a straddle cable like centre pulls / canti which the caramba solution doesn't use per an embedded link in thread above.

While wanting to use the Avid levers the original mechanism may be easiest. I have a similar thing on the Orange I am doing at the moment as no rear hanger, and I have lots of bits so I am using canti levers and canti on front with v on rear with my caramba. I'll let you know how it works. Ultimately I'll be getting properly matched bits but need to get it on the road.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back