Lemond Alp D'Huez - frame corrosion

Hmmm, that's a good call Mickey, thanks. Now I see my own photo close up on a big screen it seems to look a whole lot worse than in real life!
I don't want to panic you! But if that rust has gone through then its got an upsinted surface inside...it really doesn't want to look like the outside on the inside...But that's just me 😊 I'm sure many others wouldn't bat an eyelid! It's a nice frame and the fact it's essentially free after all the bits on it it's worth shoving a few beers in the hand of someone with a camera.

Don't take notice of me. I will leave correct measures for clever people.

Are we seeing an old bike that was relegated to the the turbo trainer with an old dish cloth over the top tube to mop up body sweat?

Because of a special diet I need to respect, my sweat from my face as caused the paint to bubble around the front cable guides. There's a part of me that says this is the price of being a fcuking champion up the cols, but I am concerned. Colon inspection equipment is not something I posses.

@Mickeyspinn is there not some sort of litmus test or like a known threshold point of remaining useful wall thickness where corrective action is good, or it just needs to get angle grinded down for the wheely bin?

Don't take notice of me. I will leave correct measures for clever people.

Are we seeing an old bike that was relegated to the the turbo trainer with an old dish cloth over the top tube to mop up body sweat?

Because of a special diet I need to respect, my sweat from my face as caused the paint to bubble around the front cable guides. There's a part of me that says this is the price of being a fcuking champion up the cols, but I am concerned. Colon inspection equipment is not something I posses.

@Mickeyspinn is there not some sort of litmus test or like a known threshold point of remaining useful wall thickness where corrective action is good, or it just needs to get angle grinded down for the wheely bin?
I thought turbo too! I'm sure there's some kind of formula to calculate when a tube is compromised....however kinda tricky to measure when it's rust....maybe a tiny Lego man size depth mic could give an inkling?..i suppose a litmus test of pick a pothole and hit it hard also might work? I don't know where the stop and start of the butting would be on 853 but it could be between .4mm and .7mm in thickness and some of those pits look to me getting near one of those numbers!

Reactions: Woz
The cable stop shouldn't be on the thin part as it would create a stress concentration. Fortunately the top tube is largely in compression anyway so least likely to trigger crack propagation, which requires an area to be in tension.

The cable stop shouldn't be on the thin part as it would create a stress concentration. Fortunately the top tube is largely in compression anyway so least likely to trigger crack propagation, which requires an area to be in tension.
Agreed and it's far more likely to be damaged by handling or being locked up that out on the road!

Thanks all for your comments. I've had the headset and BB out, cleaned out headtube, bb shell and seatube and am confident it all looks ok. Filled the pitting round those cable stops and am going to repsray the whole top-tube and a couple of discreet surface spots too.
Then I have a decent pair of shimano wheels, and am going to find some gravel tyres to fit; I think it will make a decent commuter/runaround.

Back