Sorted Later steel frameset (or full bike)

Maybe a bit lower end than you're looking for but I've got a 17" 1995 complete Rockhopper for sale....£80. I'm in Hampshire if interested.

Ever think about using a 70s Japanese touring frame? Many had triple chainrings, canti brakes, straight gauge chromoly for weight bearing. Chain stay dimpling is required so you can fit 38 - 40 mm tires. I use mine for road and gravel. 80 mile gravel and 100+ road rides. I love it. You can fit a 7 speed with no frame spreading and add cross top brakes and brake levers with shifters. I ride this on gravel with guys that have many thousand cost carbon bikes. I have no problem keeping up. I’m also 5’ 7”. It’s a pretty universal bike and not very expensive to build. I bought the frame on eBay and built the wheels using an old French front hub and a thread on rear hub. Hoops are 29er double walled Whinemann mountain bike variety and were take off wheels I got for a song. I just had to take them apart as all I wanted was the hoops. Gravel king 38 mm tires. You can really load these bikes down for adventure riding. It wasnt finished in this picture. It now has two rivet nut bottle mounts and a front rack. I carry a pistol in a holster mounted in the head tube triangle in case I get bothered by bears, mountain Lyons or wolves when sleeping in the bush. Pistols can’t be left unattended so it is easily removed from the triangle if I need to go into a grocery store or restaurant. I really load it down sometimes. With the vintage mb stem I’m fairly upright. It fits me great. My wife has a vintage Stump Jumper with urban tires set up for gravel. She only rides it 10 - 15 miles on gravel but she loves it and will never give it up. It’s an alternative worth considering. 9DA29F1A-27C9-4EE1-969F-A5D81398D7B2.jpeg

Last edited:
Cheers all for the replies, offers, really appreciate it; in a bank holiday rush of blood to head I nabbed a (whisper it) '98 p7 on eBay... Will be off to collect tonight, and then slope off to the 'other' forum!

Back