KOTHKE/MERLIN

threehills

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone.
Hi everyone.
Any information would be helpful. I have a Merlin bicycle manufactured in the 1960s and assembled by Bob Jackson of Leeds. It is original apart from seat post (which I have) and bar tape. There's several markings on the frame : Simplex dropouts, Nervex lugs and Kothke on seat stays. The gearing is Simplex with Stronglight Depose Chainring. I'm assuming the wheels are 27 but no identifying marks to confirm the hubs could be Airlight and look to have a flip flop rear . The machine has been in our family since new and I'm making progress learning about it but stuck on the Kothke mark. I'm intending to give the bike a run out this week and a spare tyre would be useful. Any help on Kothke and wheel size would be helpful. Thank you in anticipation.

SALTPOT

Merlin was one of the Bob Jackson brands (alongside Bob Jackson and JRJ) and built in the same workshops. AFAIK there is basically no difference between them all! I have no idea of the 'Kothke' marking but BJ's did do a lot of resprays and if there were no original maker's transfers available would probably have used some of their own. So it may not actually be a Merlin.

Latest posts

Back