Kona serial number

Skeeter1

Kona Fan
Hi guys,I'm trying to find out if my kona Kilauea is what it is as it's been re sprayed.
I've messaged kona direct and haven't had a response,so hoping someone on here knows a way of submitting a bike serial number to find out year and actual model?
Thanks all.

Re:

Hello and welcome to Retrobike.

I’m fairly sure that someone on here will be able to identify your bike for you.

Kona do not have a database of serial numbers to bike models, but if you let us know here, we should be able identify when the frame was produced.

Some pictures of the frame with detail of the Dropouts and Cable Stop arrangements will help us identify your frame.

If you are unable to upload to this site, then please look out for a Private Message from me with my e-mail address. You can use that to send me some pictures, and I will add them to this thread.

Pip.

Re: kona serial numbers

That is so kind,I can't believe the response time to this........I'm actually shocked!!!
Wow wow wow thanks very much.
Will it save time if I send you a direct message then?
I will endeavour to do that. I'll be home within the next few hrs so I'll get some photos then.
Regards.

Skeeter1":2cy7zy9v said:
.....Will it save time if I send you a direct message then?
I will endeavour to do that. I'll be home within the next few hrs so I'll get some photos then.
Regards.
If you attach some pictures to an e-mail to me, it will probably be quicker than you wrestling with uploading to this site - we can only upload pictures under a certain file size on here, unless you link them to a picture hosting site.

Are you comfortable with me posting any pictures and your frame's serial number? I can do that later when I get home from work.

Pip.

Hi,
Yes that's absolutely fine.
I'll get some photos when I get in and get them sent to your email address you have sent me.

I feel so silly as I impulsively bought a kona Kilauea from eBay about a month ago and now starting to panic.
It has been re sprayed by a company called enigma cycles and to be honest they have done a fantastic job and the bike arrived in emaculate condition for £260.
Anyway I'm rambling...
Sorry,I'll send you photos later and by all means post on here.
Regards.

Re:

Here you go:

Kilauea respray_1 by Philip Mock, on Flickr
Kilauea respray_5 by Philip Mock, on Flickr
Kilauea respray_8 by Philip Mock, on Flickr
Kilauea respray_4 by Philip Mock, on Flickr
Kilauea respray_6 by Philip Mock, on Flickr
Kilauea respray_7 by Philip Mock, on Flickr
Kilauea respray_3 by Philip Mock, on Flickr
Kilauea respray_2 by Philip Mock, on Flickr
Kilauea respray by Philip Mock, on Flickr

I would imagine someone will comment further here in addition to my own thoughts sent in my e-mail reply.

Pip.

Re:

Hmm, it should start with an F or an H, representing the factory it was built in then a number for the year. E.g. F2 was made in the Fairly factory in 1992. The number should also be a lot longer.

Looking at those head tube welds, it might not be a Kilauea, maybe a lower model. It does look circa 1994 based on the frame features.

SP

Re:

I can see a slight resemblance of another digit or two or possibly a letter? But so faint I could never work it out.
I'm starting to feel quite sick reading the above as I've ran into the other room to check the bike and no fish scale welds whatsoever!? They are very smooth,almost non existent.
I spoke a lot with the lady who apparently Owens the bike from new and had it resprayed about 18 months ago .
I will quickly copy and paste the bike description and post below this comment.

Back