Kona Dog Collars

mrkawasaki

Retrobike Rider
Are there many versions or variations on these - I only know of two: the plastic one for v brakes and the metal one for cantilevers. Or is that another niaive assumption...?? Please enlighten and inform (pics would be good)...

I have Zero components V-jobbies,

A direct replacement for v conversion, not a nasty clamp around the top tube.

I think there are three types (ignoring steel/alu sizing) - all for canti's

Plastic loop round the seat post, and extended open "pipe" sections for and aft: found on '91 & '92 Kona's - see red Cindercone below

Metal very simple as on the grey AA below being used "incorrectly" to work with v brakes.

Metal "pretty one" with a picture of a dog on it - have one but no pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_8673_2_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8673_2_edited-1.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,643
  • IMG_8596_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8596_edited-1.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,647
The only 'special' one I know of is for the Hei Hei frames.

They used a variant Kona called the 'CAT' collar which referred to something like Coefficient of Alternative Tubings and was intended to prevent binding of disimilar materials (ti. and steel).

Apparently this could occur from friction heat generated in the frame via over-exertion of the seatpost / seattube during long hours in the saddle.

Depends if you want to be completely 'period correct' however, as this type was only (I think) used during the '92 - 93 crossover period.

You might have difficulty finding one independant of the frame though (as they are pretty scarce), but they're easily identified by a Bagpuss-esque motif engraved on non-driveside face.

Hope this helps,

BB

I have three types around and about - can you tell me which years/applications they are appropriate for?

Attachments

• Version 3.JPG
    Version 3.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,609
  • Version 2.JPG
    Version 2.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,607
  • Version 1.JPG
    Version 1.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,607
Years wise...

Plastic one definatly '91 & 92 - maybe earlier or later.

Minimalist metal one - one came on my '94 Explosif & '95/'96 AA

One with doggy picture????

I've got to get myself a dog collar for my 1990 cindercone as the lad who had it before chopped of the guide to run maguras. Any idea where I can get one of the metal collar from?

Cheers

Matt

Back