Koga Miyata Fullpro-S 1984

jason1788

Dirt Disciple
I've wanted a mid 80s bike for a while and a few years ago I was drawn towards Koga Miyata as they were doing something unconventional, eschewing European parts and using Japanese frames and Shimano groupsets for their bikes.

I just bought this 1984 Fullpro-S, in original condition complete with stitched leather bar tape, tubulars and AX pedals.

I've not yet decided whether to do a full frame restoration, or just replace the decals and clearcoat. The original blue is good enough to touch up. It's not a priceless Colnago after all!

Attachments

• IMG_20200925_100101.jpg
    IMG_20200925_100101.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 865
Re:

That is one seriously nice looking bike you have, Think Koga Miyata were trying to make inroads into the European road market if I recall, they may have even co sponsored a pro team on the continent but I'm hazy on the details.

That valve on the front tub is badly out of line though! I'd take it off and stick it again with the valve straight otherwise it may roll on you.

Dura Ace AX is period correct if I recall, one of the first aerodynamic chainsets maybe, that groupset had the very early aero brake levers I think, white in colour, with centre pull aero calipers. Don't see many around though.

You can see how streamlined it was all meant to be by the gear levers. I would date it to about 1982 or so. I remember it was featured in Cycling magazine at the time. Think it was the first aero seat pin also.

From what I can see you have the full AX groupset except for the brakeset. Bit of a rarity probably!

Re: Re:

Rapparee87":yfaohnfi said:
they may have even co sponsored a pro team on the continent but I'm hazy on the details.

ccf6de6a7756366fd44279d940a6559c.jpg

capri-sonne-team-19811.jpg

Re:

Thanks for the comments. Certainly the front tub is a bit off - I rode it for 30km on Sunday and it was fine, but now it will get stripped down and the tubs will be replaced.

You're correct about the calipers - there are aero AX calipers in the DA and 600 ranges, but I'm glad this bike doesn't have them as I'm not a fan of the look. I don't like Campy delta brakes either, although if I had a bike with either as original fitment, then I would keep them. The AX groupset also contains an aero rear mech with an enclosed upper pulley and a wierd cable guide, and aero brake levers which have the enclosed cable routing.

Koga are very helpful with their catalogs and have published them all online, going back to 1976 which although in Flemish are easy enough to decipher:

https://www.koga.com/en/service/brochur ... -1976).htm

The 1984 brochure shows the Fullpro-S exactly as mine is (saddle is different), and lists the mixed AX/EX groupset just like it is on my bike. The pump and bottle are missing too :)

On the front cover of the same catalog is the Fullpro-A (for aero?) although it doesn't appear in the catalog. This rarity does have the full AX groupset including brakes, levers and rear mech and I believe has some oval frame tubing too.

The Capri Sonne team photo is great! Although the bikes look a bit older I'd love to find a replica jersey to use when I have the bike finished.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 760
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 760
Re:

Wow! My memory wasn't letting me down then! Yes, I can imagine the calipers would be tricky, if Campag Deltas are anything to go by. Campag had a similiar bottle and cage around then, but the shape wasn't practical as I recall when racing.

Best of luck with it, it will turn plenty of heads when out on the road I'm sure. :D

Peter Winnen won the white jersey and the stage on Alpe d'Huez in the 1981 Tour de France with team Capri-Sonne. Here in the ITT on an AX-equipped Koga...

Back