Sold KHS Ti Lite Titanium Mountain Bike with Full Shimano XTR

I think it all evolves around the question what we want our retro bike community to be. I'd rather see it as a safe space where people do not take advantage of someone else's lack of knowledge. Other people might see it as a reflection of how society nowadays is. Cold and individual.

I've scored bargains on market spaces and eBay in the past and I for sure picked up bikes from people who had no idea what they were selling. I wanted a frame, a part, and was willing to contact that person, travel extensively and take the risk of bidding on something I wasn't sure in which state it was.

But for some reason that is not the space I want retrobike to be. It's a massive grey area I must say and I can't really explain, but I'm not happy with both sides of the spectrum. People taking advantage of someone else's lack of knowledge is one. And on the other side of it there are the professional traders who full-time pick up bikes, strip it to flip and sell the parts at massively inflated prices. It's just not a reflection of the community I want it to be.

How is it taking the p1ss merely agreeing to buy something for the asking price? Are you so quick to take the moral highground when you're first in on a bargain? ''Haha oh sorry old chap but that is way too cheap let me give you an extra ÂŁ400''.
Or a friend? or a friend that is going to sell you something or other off it? Would you have chimed in if I had grossly overpaid for it an another item? Would you boll0cks! You wouldn't give a hoot about me getting ripped off or not researching properly.

I'd have paid more but I ain't paying that when I've seen it just double in price after agreeing to pay the original asking price. You can't honour that then no interest in buying anything from you. What next someone has also agreed to pay that or offered more?

The only person taking the p1ss is the self righteous bike appraiser who likes to stick his oar in

Last edited:
And who cares if I was trying to buy it to ride it, let it sit in a garage collecting dust or break it up for a profit or throw it in the damn bin. What does it matter?
Its not your money, not your bike, not your business.
Wind your neck in.

Seriously concern yourself with your own bikes, money and stop worrying about others and what they do or might be going to do,

I just don't understand it why people care about someone making money off a bike. They've paid, Its their property they can do what they like with it. I've never seen a community like it where they all start crying because someone sells a few bits or breaks up a bike. I guess they would rather they just sat collecting dust in garages and have it stared at once a week like theirs.

Someone buys something cheap, breaks it up and sells the parts at a good price wtf is the problem? Everyone is happy apart from the self righteous toffs who spend all day on social media chiming in random cr4p that don't concern them.

That Pace the other week. ''Its for sale already omg''
Good on him I hope he made a sweet profit and made a lot of people happy selling decent bits at a good price.

What next are we going to asking the history of the parts? Oh I don't want it suddenly because you didn't pay enough money!

Honestly just buy a cat or take your bike out the garage and take it for a nice, long ride.

I sit on both sides. I collect retro bikes, but also split them too. Some people hate the fact that other people split bikes but then the same people are happy to buy parts. Splitting a bike also ends up making multiple people happy as more people benefit from parts they need to keep their bike working. On the opposite side it’s a bit bad to split a nice bike up.

It takes lots of time/cash/risk to split bikes and sometimes it’s nice to get a bargain so i understand danbe’s frustration if that happened after the sale was agreed. However it happens loads. I’ve driven miles to collect bikes and come away empty handed for various reasons so at least nothing is lost financially or timewise.

We have dedicated places on the forum to ask for pricing help. So if the seller had no idea of value then ideally it would be posted there firstly. On this occasion it wasn’t and was a cheap buy for someone which danbe jumped on, only to have people tell the seller it’s too cheap. I like the fact the forum is a honest place that tries to help everyone and it’s good that they didn’t want the seller to undersell it. But also the seller has a responsibility themselves to do research and put it to market at a fair price prior.

Here’s another thought, we have the forum rule that says all adverts should have a price. I like this rule. But surely it’s morally wrong to advert something and then increase the price. I’ve sold some items in the past too cheap but I’ve honoured the price as it’s just seems fair even though there isn’t any obligation to do so.

There’s far worse things going off than missing a cheap bike so let it go and hunt for the next one. I’ve had multiple dealings with some members who commented and they are really good guys so I can’t imagine any menace intended.

Last edited:
I sit on both sides. I collect retro bikes, but also split them too. Some people hate the fact that other people split bikes but then the same people are happy to buy parts. Splitting a bike also ends up making multiple people happy as more people benefit from parts they need to keep their bike working. On the opposite side it’s a bit bad to split a nice bike up.

It takes lots of time/cash/risk to split bikes and sometimes it’s nice to get a bargain so i understand danbe’s frustration if that happened after the sale was agreed. However it happens loads. I’ve driven miles to collect bikes and come away empty handed for various reasons so at least nothing is lost financially or timewise.

We have dedicated places on the forum to ask for pricing help. So if the seller had no idea of value then ideally it would be posted there firstly. On this occasion it wasn’t and was a cheap buy for someone which danbe jumped on, only to have people tell the seller it’s too cheap. I like the fact the forum is a honest place that tries to help everyone and it’s good that they didn’t want the seller to undersell it. But also the seller has a responsibility themselves to do research and put it to market at a fair price prior.

Here’s another thought, we have the forum rule that says all adverts should have a price. I like this rule. But surely it’s morally wrong to advert something and then increase the price. I’ve sold some items in the past too cheap but I’ve honoured the price as it’s just seems fair even though there isn’t any obligation to do so.

There’s far worse things going off than missing a cheap bike so let it go and hunt for the next one. I’ve had multiple dealings with some members who commented and they are really good guys so I can’t imagine any menace intended.
This sir, is an excellent response đź‘Ť

Back