Jack Taylor Super Clubman Barn Find - * small update page 14

Today or I should say late this afternoon’s ride I picked up from yesterday and headed the opposite direction to basically just get a couple of hours in round the coast on the Super Clubman. Was busy during the day with family but made some time late on as the forecast up here was for rain this evening and through tomorrow then Tuesday 70mph winds and days of snow, so could be the last chance for a few days as I am back to work Weds. that will give you a reprieve from my holiday posts :)
Late start meant lights on from the go, wind was picking up steadily and the clouds were coming in. I explored a few coastal paths and tracks and also discovered a few shortcuts between my usual trails.
The rain caught up to me on the few miles of main road before home, though only light, so was pretty lucky.
Just love riding this JT, does everything on road, off road, bit of cyclocross today as well. Though there were bits where I was thinking of Erics jack Taylor off roader, atb that he had for sale. Alas too big for me, but it would have been nice ;)

Jamie

Untitled by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Guess you’ve been bast Dounray & Loch Calder as remember racing a 2up TT around those roads back in 1990…absolutely deserted like your nice photos….

Guess you’ve been bast Dounray & Loch Calder as remember racing a 2up TT around those roads back in 1990…absolutely deserted like your nice photos….

There's a bit more there now, but still pretty deserted country. Dounray though is pretty busy stretch of road with it now being part of the NC500 so it's fast and a bit crazy. I usually give that stretch a bypass going the back from Thurso to Reay.

Jamie

Reactions: Nob
A couple of photos from the 9th Jan. Had a couple of hours to spare and thought, while it is cold it's a glorious day so need to get out and ride.
There was a bit of frosty ice on our small road but not too bad, the main road was clear but had been gritted a day or so earlier but was damp in places.
Plan was to head south on the back roads. This was scuppered when I crossed the main main road and turned up the hill only to find it covered in decent ice. I had another local rider come past heading towards town and he said all the back roads were frozen and pretty dangerous. Not much choice then, left or right on the main road. Right it was and the long uninspiring grind into town. despite it being below zero all day, it was actually a nice sunday ride into town which was quite busy with people being out making the most of the sunny day. The surfers were out in force at Thurso east as it was a pretty decent swell. So not that exciting a ride but a nice one anyway.

A few photos from Saturday afternoon’s late ride out on the Super Clubman.
Cold but clear day, roads were relatively dry so made the most of it. Roads are normally far too icy on the backroads and also covered in grit on the main roads, so nice to still be able to take the nice Clubman out.
Didn’t have long, just a couple of hours so stayed fairly local meandering the backroads, just enjoying riding a lovely bike just for the sake of it.
Hope the weather was decent where you are.

Can't believe I haven't updated this thread since February as I have had a good few rides on my lovely Jack Taylor. I really do love the way this bike rides and handles which can be seen as it has to be my go to ride , modern or old from day runs, commuting, making the most of a couple of hours free time, never have I not enjoyed a ride on this. I have others in the stable and they do get ridden but this just fits perfect and is so comfortable, but I am sure I have said that before :)
We were away south to Helensburgh on the Clyde coast outside of Glasgow for Easter weekend to visit family and friends. Luckily I managed to put the JT in the van in case I managed to get some time in for a ride. Managed to get a couple of late afternoon/evening rides in on both Saturday and Sunday. Both times heading out along the coast towards Gairloch past the navy base along some really nice bike paths, quite roads, cycle lanes all really well setup. Nice. The Sunday ride I turned inland near the navy base and upwards into the next valley before rain and encroaching darkness got the better of me and I headed back the way I came. I have been down these roads before but not ridden them so it was nice exploring new roads and tracks.

Jamie

once again, It has been a while since I last updated the thread. Of course there have been a few rides on the JT since but nothing other than my usual local rides.
And so here are a few photos from yesterdays ride out on the Jack Taylor on the mixed surface roads out around Loch More/Altnabreac out in the flow country. Cracking afternoon for it and the Jack Taylor handled it all with ease. Horses for courses of course and I ride the old beauty sympathetically but it still runs this type of gravel surprisingly fast and surprisingly comfortable. Running 30mm Jackie Browns which has a nice volume so can run slightly lower pressures.
Morning was rubbish here so it was good to enjoy such a nice afternoon. I think I seen 4 people all afternoon out there, 2 on the water with SUPs and 2 older ladies riding their electric MTB's.

Jamie

Wow, it has been a while since I last posted a JT ride but don't worry as it is still my go to classic and gets used regularly :)

Yesterday was a nice day up here in the north of Scotland, the first nice weekend for many. I was due to head down for a ride with Brian on the Black Isle but a few chores before I left meant I would really be pushing it for time and also daylight. The pin was pulled and the ride cancelled as it would mean about a 5 hour round trip for about an hour and half ride. So as thought where do I head locally that I haven't been for a while?
I decided to head out Westerdale/Loch More direction and see where I end up, should keep me occupied for a good couple of hours and still leave time to get home and do something with Caleb when he gets in.
It was once again a nice enjoyable ride out into the flow country, sunny to begin with though with a very strong headwind from the southwest. I figured I would feel the benefit on the run back.
Well, what started out sunny and clear soon started getting darker and more threatening by the mile. The wind was bringing in clouds and rain with it. I did manage to get out to the dam and pushing on just after on the gravel sections wasn't the best due to rain the previous night, so it was only a mile or so off road this time. No big disappointment as I had already had a couple of drops of rain and could feel the moisture in the air so the decision to head back was taken before this anyway.
So, another enjoyable ride out on the Super Clubman. This is my go to classic and I really love the ride, though I do find it demotivates me to build anything else, it just does it all.
This is a similar run to the one above and you can see the difference in season, even without the off road sections.

Jamie

No hiding from the weather out here

Back