IT'S ALL GONE BONKERS.....

2manyoranges

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
...well this weekend was a mountain of frustration...the problems outlined on here but multiplied into a huge hill of tedious fruitless searching...no new frames available anywhere...lead times of 6 months mentioned on manufacturers' websites....suitable frames on ebay and pinkbike coming up, then being withdrawn a few hours later...simple components such as Hope brakes seemingly available new but then 'take your money and then say 'available from supplier'...' (code for wait 6 months)...it was bad two months ago but it's just impossible now...and no chance to actually do some decent riding due to restrictions...anyone else feeling the vibe??

Re:

Sat in a school hall being ‘inducted’. Covering shielding staff. The new normal is a very strange place, not just online.

This is now a giant socially distanced staff room

I feel sorry for the kids.

Its lucky the bodies immune system doesn't develop by close contact and contamination otherwise the future would look even bleaker :shock: :)

On a nearly brighter note, im off out for a bike ride in the drizzle :D

...dropped 15 year old son off at school after negative test on Friday...GCSE year...the really grim aspect indeed is the emotional, social and economic impact, which is going to run so deeply through society....

I'm just holding off buying anything bike related for the next couple of years. Hopefully some sanity will have returned by then.

Bought it all up last year, managed to pick up a few badly listed bits this year, lots of bikes in the garage to keep me busy

Lots of Furlough to keep me riding - when the weather is nice!

2manyoranges":3s0lye39 said:
suitable frames on ebay and pinkbike coming up, then being withdrawn a few hours later...

I'm certainly feeling this, I've been eagerly watching bikes both modern and retro on ebay with a curiosity as to what they may fetch, only for them to never reach the auction end, despite there being no 'make an offer' option. It's fair to say of course that if I wanted to actually buy any of them I could make contact with the sellers, however sometimes it's fun to just be curious.

Also seeing a lot of buy-to-split activity, paying what I would say are silly prices to make any real profit from the split parts.

Re:

Not really buying retro atm and have a decent amount of bits in stock so should be okay on that front.

I gave up on buying a modern frame a while back as even if you can find one you'll struggle for a groupset any time this year. Struck lucky though as CRC had a supply of bikes land just as our C2W window opened so am now patiently waiting for my new Ragley Trig to arrive. :D :D :D :D

Riding has been pretty sparse for me, but I've got plenty of projects. Although sadly most require me to send stuff off for rebuild, which means spending $ and finding a shipping box. Also waiting for the right weather to try and find a proper stem length & rise for my one great covid find. That also needs to be sent off for paint... which means more money, and a box...

But I've got a control tech team I'm rebuilding, so I've got that going for me I guess. And new hiking boots, hiking helps to scratch the can't bike itch at the moment. But the view isn't bad from here.

Attachments

• 20210308_115051.jpg
    20210308_115051.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 438
Re:

Lead times of six months...? I've seen lead times of over 2 years from some manufacturers.

New parts availability is bad and won't be getting better at any point soon.

I keep telling all my customers that if they have it don't break it.

It's going to be a real slog this year and I can't put myself on furlough.
Maybe I'll get time to work on a few of my own projects when the inevitable gridlock hits.

Back