Is this Trek past it?

Nothing wrong with a bit of passion! Anyway, here's a new question: Will it be possible to paint the Trek in it's original colour and then get original decals. Or perhaps I should just go for a new colour scheme.

I'm sure a good paint shop could colour match for you, but unlikely to be cheap if you want a good match as they're a funny almost metallic finish on treks of that era (wonder whether its silver base with tinted top coat?)

Original decals may be hard to come by but Gil M will be able to sort you out some reproduction ones if you give him enough decent source material.

Depends how much you like it I guess! what is it a 6000 or 6500 from circa 99-2000 ish? (at a guess from memory!?)

The bike is a 7000zx circa mid to late 90s. It was my son's bike which is why I'd like to get it looking and riding nice again. If the paint is too expensive I may just change the colour. Any ideas?
Here's the machine itself:-

Thanks for the better pic, that's a 1998 then (unless I'm much mistaken), good solid and lightweight frame so worth keeping it going.

To be perfectly honest if it were me I would just leave it as is, but if you really want to then a basic powder coat can be done for ~£40 if you have a decent local coater, it's upwards from there if you want fancy finishes and proper paint and lacquer then you're in the £70 - £120+ range normally.

Do you have a local paintshop that you could go and chat too? or would it be a postage job?

Have a look at Argos Cycles (http://www.argoscycles.com) for an idea on costs and colour options, plenty of other places available but there's lots of colours and price info on Argos site which is often absent on others!

drystonepaul":37zfsoe5 said:
It's just corrosion under the paint.

Aluminium alloy frames do get white powdery corrosion forming, especially if it's caused by exposure to salt. As long as the corrosion isn't too deep and there isn't a lot of pitting, then the tube strength and structure shouldn't be compromised.

Pretty much this.
The beauty of aluminium is that the corrosion seals the metal stopping it corroding more.
The aluminium oxide formed does tend to stand away from the surface a bit hence why it looks bad. It probably won't be. Not sure why you'd want to strip it?

There are chemicals that prevent the oxide formed protecting the aluminium surface and can create large crystal structures in hours. It's unlikely this has happened though!

Try Asking in the Macretro Area group thread, I'm sure some local riders will know somewhere that can do it for you.
I can also recommend Bob Jackson Cycles, my Orange Prestige was done by them and its bloody good.

Thanks once again folks. What a nice bunch of folk there on this forum. Looks like I'll just keep the Trek the way it is.

Latest posts

Back