Is this a 90's Orange Prestige?

MrPhilicorda

Retro Newbie
Hi,

Just picked up this one for £5. It had a horrible black spray paint job which I luckily managed to remove with the help of some paint stripper. Underneath the paint is in quite good condition, but no decals or markings of any kind. The frame is quite light, so I assume it's aluminium.

The wishbone seat stay and the cable guides are are good points of reference. I saw some pictures of an Orange Prestige with the same rear brake guide, and similar top tube guides, allthough the latter we're situation slightly closer to the top of the TT.

So what do I have? Any help or ideas appreciated!

Cheers,
Einar

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Cable routing doesn't look right to me. The welds around the headtube look like alu in the photos (to my eyes)
The more I look the more it does look like a 93 era Orange. My Prestige has no rack/mudguard braze ons, but my Clockwork did have.
Is the headtube 1"?

Last edited:
Cable routing doesn't look right to me. The welds around the headtube look like alu in the photos (to my eyes)
Just found a clip on YouTube of a 1995 Orange P7. The cable tabs/guides look nearly identical to mine, except it seems on the P7 the tabs are mounted slightly closer to the top of the TT. But everything else matches. The Rock Shox on mine were introduced in 1994 so the year would at least make sense.

Check the screen shot:

Skärmbild 2024-05-23 105738.jpg

Aluminium = not prestige
Which one could it be then? Any ideas?

I'm not 100% sure about aluminium but it's light. It looks very close to a 1995/1996 P7 too, but not a perfect match (allthough there could be some mid-season variations in small details).

Aluminium = not prestige

I don't think it is aluminium, I merely jest at how it looks to my eyes, on my screen. I am pretty sure it is a Prestige the more I look at the pics. I'd say it's a 93/4 like my own. Does this frame have any frame numbers stamped into it? That would confirm if it is or isn't an Orange product.

I don't think it is aluminium, I merely jest at how it looks to my eyes, on my screen. I am pretty sure it is a Prestige the more I look at the pics. I'd say it's a 93/4 like my own. Does this frame have any frame numbers stamped into it? That would confirm if it is or isn't an Orange product.

Here's the underside of the BB. You can also see the peculiar joint of the tubes there.

20240523_115101.jpg

That looks like a plug in bottom bracket shell like what Masi did on their 3V road frames . I have never seen one on an Orange frame . It needs a top Orange experts opinion .

Latest posts

Back