Is my titanium frame toast?

Re: Re:

ishaw":ln8sv7qn said:
The enigma waiting list is very long. Any other options?

Get some copper sheet to protect it ( maybe a splint type steel rod ) and carefully multiple jubilee clip it all the way along to act as support so you can ride it until Enigma fixes it proper.

Re:

The enigma fix is very belt and braces, replacing both stays and drop outs, wondering if there is a less invasive approach?

mattr":1zr76gts said:
Who had their seat tube slot welded up the other week?

That *could* be an option. But with it being a chainstay you need to be wary of distortion. It also looks (possibly) like it's cracked along a seam.
The crimping, wouldn't worry. I think mine is, might have been one of the other Tis, but either way, they've all done many seasons and a lot of racing like that.

That was my torus. Not the best cosmetic work but does the job. Mine also has a crimped seatube where the front mech was which is annoying but not the end of of the world

Re:

I was hoping for a fix that is both functional and cosmetically appealing.

Or I may cut my losses.....

Re:

ishaw":17pm9h64 said:

Vernon Barker?

You will probably get functional, but cosmetically appealing less so, having seen examples of other work...

That said, it's drive side so cover up with a chain stay protector and job done :)

Re: Re:

ishaw":1vmirms0 said:

It’s going to be expensive repairing that with any degree of cosmetic appeal. Looks bad unfortunately.

Whats the frame Ian?

Can't you just build up that nice DBR Axis I picked up for you instead? :)

Re:

I feared as much. An expensive lesson learned. Always check everything in detail, dirt and components hide a multitude of sins.

The frame origins are unknown, but it has adjustable drop outs so I was going to try some 27.5 wheels in what seemed at the time a low risk approach, as it could be switched back to 26.

The dbr frame I've still got, but it's too small for me so I was saving it for my eldest, though it's years before it will be his size.

Re:

There’s a place near me that I have heard good things about called cycles in motion in Sheffield. Not saying they will be able to help but maybe worth a call as they build frames but not sure about if they work with Ti.

Vernon barker is another suggestion which someone has mentioned.

Re:

I've contacted Vernon Barker who seem happy enough to take it on. I asked about cosmetics and they were pretty open about leaving it as a bead of weld. Would it be a bad idea to tidy up the weld myself once done?

Back