Is it a sign, First ride, first crash in years

These things happen. I started using cleats for the first time about 2 years ago and went down about 6-7 times before I actually stopped trying to pull my feet out the back of the pedals. I’m in my 40s but it’s one of the rare things left in my life where it’s still part of the fun. I did the same on my cargo bike with a tall load on it and it properly took me down and smashed me into the pavement. I just lay there laughing to myself for a few seconds before hauling the bike off myself and tried not to think about how bruised my legs were going to be!

I’d burn it Ian. Burn it to the damn ground 😂

Glad you survived without injury mate 👍🏼

I've always thought old railway lines were a bit soft for a ride so I didn't pay too much attention when riding on one recently. Ended up with gravel in both elbows. That'll teach me.

It happened because it's modern. A retrobike would have been safe, lesson learnt I hope. Ride Retro, Stay Safe, Protect the Balls.

Ishaw - sorry to hear of crash and glad all well. I think the comments about concentration may be key - or think of ‘cognitive workload’. We do HUGELY complex things as humans - and have to monitor them - you were monitoring mechanical condition of the bike rather than taking it for granted (ie automatic behaviour), dealing with the riding demand a new bike (ie no automatic behaviour), and therefore swamping your working memory and conscious mind with inputs. Oh and it was getting dark too. You were well out of The Zone. So no surprise you had a problem - and not a sign of failing faculties. By contrast, last Autumn I was on the mmmBop you kindly sold - totally tuned into it from months of riding, and the Grom decided to do fast and demanding single track at dusk - we could barely see, and ripped it, to my amazement, no thought of bike mechanicals, no adaptation to bike, just Flow State and shadowy trees whipping past, big holes and roots negotiated without even seeing them. Sort the front brake, acclimatise to the bike, and the world’s your lobster 🦞

Back