IRD suspension fork

Ricker

Dirt Disciple
I took a gamble on a bike for the fork and was happy that it worked out! I haven't decided what I will do with this one just yet but I am very impressed with it, and it works well. I don't think it has many miles on it. Crown is sun faded but it was probably driven around on the top of a car for most of its miles... I believe it to be a first year fork due to the other parts that were on the bike so 1990- (at least according to Mombat)

IRD suspension fork 1990.JPG

Ti steerer too :cool:

This fork wasn't really on my radar and it really is nice. It weighs about as much as the rigid forks of its time. I wiped it down and it cleaned up really nicely- I really am impressed. Working in shops during this era I never ran across one of these- Doug Bradbury is local so I saw quite a few Manitous and I rode Rock Shox RS1 and the mag 20 around this time. Having vintage Rock Shox with all of their complexity makes me really appreciate this fork- My gamble was weather or not it had a Ti steerer or not. I bought a nice bike for the parts that has come from a wealthy resort area (Aspen valley) and the bike had nice components for its day so I had a suspicion that it might be Ti. I really didn't need another bike but I bought it anyway (eventhough my wife thinks I am a hoarder;)

what is the system ? Bumpers/elastomer, air/oil, spring/oil… ?

It is elastomers, no oil. Similar to early Manitou. I am surprised it works as well as it does after all of these years. I am guessing the sealed bellows helped preserve it. I have only really ridden coil spring or air spring with oil damping so this is still really basic. For vintage it is awesome. Rebuilding vintage rockshox forks is almost impossible if the seals are gone, at least for me since I can't find any seal kits anymore-

Not sure the crown is sun-faded.

I think they offered the fork with that color crown also?

I just recently acquired the rigid, Expedition, version of this fork, and am similarly enthralled with it.

Looking forward to seeing what you put this on...

A Stroker would be ideal, of course!

DSC_4950.jpg

Or better yet:

tempImagew8rS5D.jpg tempImagevSV0K3.jpg

Which might not be an IRD, but is one of the best bikes I have ever seen, and the forks look right at home on it!

Not sure the crown is sun-faded.

I think they offered the fork with that color crown also?

I just recently acquired the rigid, Expedition, version of this fork, and am similarly enthralled with it.

Looking forward to seeing what you put this on...

A Stroker would be ideal, of course!

View attachment 652982

Or better yet:

View attachment 652980 View attachment 652981

Which might not be an IRD, but is one of the best bikes I have ever seen, and the forks look right at home on it!

Interesting- I assumed it was originally black since this is similar to the tone that anodized black turns under UV light, which we have a bit of here. I would like to think it is supposed to be this color so I will say it is in nice original condition-

Thank you!

Back