Indexing with a Huret Jubilee

Just fit it and see what happens, it may work, most mechs of the 70's shifted with similar cable amounts/ pull - I'm sure I've indexed Huret to 6spd Shimano dt before, in fact I'm sure of it!

legrandefromage":9i11zv51 said:
Just fit it and see what happens, it may work, most mechs of the 70's shifted with similar cable amounts/ pull - I'm sure I've indexed Huret to 6spd Shimano dt before, in fact I'm sure of it!

The internet seems to suggest that the Jubilee mech had its own pull ratio. I think I read if you put a Shimano shifter on a Jubilee mech you have to move the shifter about 180 degrees to pull it all the way across the block. Was yours a later Huret mech?

Hence the SRAM shifter on the Klein is probably about right, because it pulls more cable than a Shimano one.

Assuming the setup on the Klein was correct-ish enough, I make the shifter cable pull 3.1mm, Shimano 11-speed gear spacing is 3.69mm so the derailleur pull/shift ratio is about 1.19. Stuck all this in a spreadsheet with all the other cable pulls and cassette gear spacings and looked for the closest ones. Ignoring brake/shifters, dt shifters only...

That means the following combinations are close:
-Shimano 6-speed shifters are close to Shimano/SRAM 10-speed road, Shimano 10-speed mtb and SRAM 11-speed mtb cassettes
-Campagnolo Syncro 8-speed shifters are close to Campagnolo 10-speed cassette
-Campagnolo Syncro 9-speed shifters are close to Campagnolo 11-speed cassette

I can sort of check this, because I have indexed Shimano 6-speed shifters in my drawer and a Shimano 10-speed cassette. Only thing I don't have at the moment is a frame that can take downtube shifters :shock:

It was a 6spd Sachs close ratio block, a Huret Jubilee and some 6spd Sachs shifters on a Raleigh Record in 1990 when I was young, carefree and er, thats it

Back