Inbred or not ?

shinobi":1v2hlapr said:
Is yours built up with very light running gear ?
Cheers Paul

Reba Fork
XT Cranks, single 32t narrow wide ring
SLX mech and shifter
SLX 11-36 cassette
XT/317 rear wheel, hope/517 front
Schwalbe racing ralph on the back, panaracer fire xc pro on the front
Thomson post, vetta saddle
On one stem, sunline bars
M520 trail pedals
Hope Mono mini brakes (180/160)

ewjPW4g.jpg

I've chopped the hoses off since this...

Pretty ordinary really

cce":2tajru72 said:
shinobi":2tajru72 said:
Is yours built up with very light running gear ?
Cheers Paul

Reba Fork
XT Cranks, single 32t narrow wide ring
SLX mech and shifter
SLX 11-36 cassette
XT/317 rear wheel, hope/517 front
Schwalbe racing ralph on the back, panaracer fire xc pro on the front
Thomson post, vetta saddle
On one stem, sunline bars
M520 trail pedals
Hope Mono mini brakes (180/160)

Pretty ordinary really
Looks a nice set up , i do run a triple chainset and maybe heaver brakes but not a mile away really .
The one i was watching on ebay has been removed anyway :facepalm:
Lots of 456 !

At £200 I'd be tempted to buy new...as said the original blue-collar MTB. It's always a good one to demonstrate the point that 'it's what's on the saddle that counts'

hamster":2sxgmjm3 said:
At £200 I'd be tempted to buy new...as said the original blue-collar MTB. It's always a good one to demonstrate the point that 'it's what's on the saddle that counts'
I was hoping it woudnt come to that :LOL: :LOL:
Paul

bung a want ad up on singletrack, loads of inbred frames in folks sheds over there

Re: Re:

Matthews":33hfu09c said:
The bike snobs will hate them but many people ride em and love em (my Mrs has a tiny 14" one ). As long as you can cope with the odd insult about gas pipe they are a great frame especially for the price .

I think you're giving bike snobs a bad rap. I built up a tiny one too, for my 10 year old son last year, using high end 26" components from some of my old bikes. I'm as big of a bike snob as there is, and the Inbred was the only frame I could find, at ANY price, that was worthy of a high quality build, and that I could imagine keeping around for another 5 years or more until he grew out of it:

Gotta keep our demographic descriptors accurate: "Bike snobs" are people who take BIKES too seriously. Those guys who assume that their $5,000, disposable, plastic, weight weeny things are superior, and who therefore look down their nose at a good steel frame, are "consumers" or "marketing department target audiences." They take THEMSELVES too seriously.

All that said, if I lived in the UK and was looking for an inexpensive, steel, single speed that would make me giggle, could do anything, worked well with my 6'-2" frame, and that I'd want to ride for the rest of MY life, I'd forget about suspension get a Stooge. However, if you have really nice 1/8" fork and 26" wheels that you really want to use, the Inbred is a perfect choice

Attachments

• inbred_01.jpg
    inbred_01.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 597
Re:

Re-reading the OP's original post, I guess I should clarify that, as good as the inbred is, it's not really designed around a "modern" riding position.

(Assuming that by "modern" you mean: slack seat tube angle, low bottom bracket, short reach and tall stack height to take the weight off of your wrists and put it on your feet; and short stems and shallow front end angles to make downhills more fun and to keep you from doing endos.)

My personal feeling is that although the Inbred works with a 100mm fork, but it will be much more like the traditional XC geometry that you're used to, requiring a longer stem and a more stretched out riding position. Especially if you're on the taller side because, just like with traditional XC bikes, the head tubes and stack heights really don't scale up proportionally with the larger frames.

Re:

I've had my 16" 456 Inbred for about 7 or 8 years now (bought second hand from Singletrack). It's been rebuilt several times but always as a long forked hardtail, I do have lighter and more expensive bikes (including plastic) but when I ride it I wonder why I bother with anything else. This summer it was used exclusively by my 13 year old grandson who is now a fan.

I used to believe that XC hardtails made the best trail bikes but one ride on a friends 456 made me think again.

This is the first bike that I built up for strength and reliability rather than lightness and I honestly don't climb any slower with it. Current build highlights are:

R.S. Revelation RLT set to 150mm
Shimano Zee groupset
Bontrager Scandium wheels
Nobby Nicks front and rear, set up tubeless
Nuke Proof finishing kit

My advice would be to buy an On One frame and build it up as you want. If you don't get on with it you can easily sell it on.

As for the bike snobs F--kem. :cool:

Re: Re:

shedobits":8mo55swx said:
I've had my 16" 456 Inbred for about 7 or 8 years now (bought second hand from Singletrack). It's been rebuilt several times but always as a long forked hardtail, I do have lighter and more expensive bikes (including plastic) but when I ride it I wonder why I bother with anything else. This summer it was used exclusively by my 13 year old grandson who is now a fan.

I used to believe that XC hardtails made the best trail bikes but one ride on a friends 456 made me think again.

This is the first bike that I built up for strength and reliability rather than lightness and I honestly don't climb any slower with it. Current build highlights are:

R.S. Revelation RLT set to 150mm
Shimano Zee groupset
Bontrager Scandium wheels
Nobby Nicks front and rear, set up tubeless
Nuke Proof finishing kit

My advice would be to buy an On One frame and build it up as you want.

The 456 Inbred looks like a GREAT bike, and definitely more of a "modern" trail bike geometry. But, just to eliminate confusion, it is a completely different frame than the regular Inbred that I think the OP is asking about. (The name has even been changed to simply "456," to eliminate the confusion between them). I think it could work with the 100mm (4) fork that the OP currently has, but not nearly as well as the 150mm (6) fork that you have.

shedobits":8mo55swx said:
As for the consumers, F--kem. :cool:

...fixed.

Back