In the wrong hands.....

Could be worse... I cry a little inside when I see in the xbiking sub Reddit how people find nearly original classics and then do the usual 1x conversion, Billy Bonkers tires and v brakes. It was cool the first time, but now it's just copy paste.

Best will be when they get tired of them in 12 months and try to recoup their 800£ investment in a 30 year old bike... (Like the fixie conversions 15 years ago, that ruined so many classy road bikes forever).

But everybody has their right to ruin their own bikes...

Looks like a bike that's being loved and ridden.
The fact he doesn't care to clean it to bits is fine with me.
I have to spank my g/f to get her to clean her bike. :cool:

Agree with the sentiments above, you sold it so it's not your bike any more & while it's a shame, at least it's lived a life and served a purpose, it's still alive and will serve further purpose too, not like it's been stolen (my '91 Palisades, which was also ridden hard and beaten on but still loved) or worse, frame broken in half (Our lad's '95-ish Palisades Trail) or worst of all, had the original running gear scrapped and converted to 1X or E-...

If it comes for sale again and you feel that strongly, buy it back and then when it's yours again you can treat it how you feel it deserves. Only thing I can guarantee if you do that though, whatever you do with it will upset someone somewhere...

Oh man.

Let's bang some Airmax on the David statue.
'get with it boi'

I keep telling myself.

Buy it back. I would feel 'dirty' and compromised.

Ok guys, thanks for the input, just sharing thoughts.
Next up on the Crystal ball....but not exclusive to the subject therein.

DUDE, what's my RAL.
-model
-Should I?
-decal sources
-tracking rare and small bits
-what kit would it of had
-trending gear ratio
-gravel

Im hoping it doesn't come to that and it gets put out for scrap, a soldiers' death.

It could be worse, the owner could have gone for Spunky:

🤣

Oh man.

Let's bang some Airmax on the David statue.
'get with it boi'

I keep telling myself.

Buy it back. I would feel 'dirty' and compromised.

Ok guys, thanks for the input, just sharing thoughts.
Next up on the Crystal ball....but not exclusive to the subject therein.

DUDE, what's my RAL.
-model
-Should I?
-decal sources
-tracking rare and small bits
-what kit would it of had
-trending gear ratio
-gravel

Im hoping it doesn't come to that and it gets put out for scrap, a soldiers' death.
I think there is a value in trying to preserve historical artefacts and, given that there are many build threads on here showing how members have tried to preserve or restore vintage bikes, you might have expected a more sympathetic response to your 'distress'. Perhaps it was because of the hyperbole in the opening post that you didn't. (And there's a certain irony in the fact that you didn't.) Sure, all compound things are impermanent, but that does not mean that they should be treated carelessly. Indeed, you could say that it's the very reason they should not be.

Having said that, we can't preserve everything, we have to be selective (as you were when you sold the bike), and perhaps the consensus is that a Palisades is just not special enough. When I bought a 1996 model a few years ago, I immediately swapped the original tyres for new ones, and the cantilevers for v-brakes, and felt not a moment's guilt. 🤷‍♂️

I think maybe that’s the rub. If it was an FRO that had the accutrax dumped for a set of Chinese knock-off suspension forks, or a Phoenix modified by your local skip welder for a set of Temu cable disks.. well.. maybe the response might have been warmer.

Personally, I love old Marins and those cack handed upgrades-of-the-ignorant pain me.. but hey, there is a silver lining. Now that you know how much zingy early ‘90s Palisades mean to you.. I think you’ve got yourself a new project. Go forth and find an even more mint one to cherish.

The only time I ever felt anyway near the same, was when I sold my 95’ Kona sex two, upgraded with judy DHs, & fox alps shock, to pay for a GT LTS.

The silly little pilliock that bought it, rode it straight to McDonald’s for some nuggets, and it was never seen again.

I was f’n livid !!! I remember even having a moan at his mum 😆🤦

Back