IG vs HG chain compatibility questions

Tsundere

Fat Chance Fan
Feedback
View
Could someone please give a quick breakdown of the differences between them?

Restoring a bike with an M737 group that originally came with a Middleburn chainset, however, I have an M737 chainset (IG only!) that I'd like to switch to for harder rides. The middle chainring is pretty worn, but I have a NOS HG chainring to replace it. Can you mix HG and IG chainrings?

I have IG and HG chains, which should I go with in order to be able to use Middleburn, IG and HG chainrings? I'm thinking that IG should work in all situations, is that correct?

BiTD (MY1995), Shimano thickened the rear cogs a bit so they could add profiling to the back of them, now seen on everything since.
Long since dropped the IG naming, many are using IG without even knowing it from that era (git a M737 caseete, has -I at the end and the new profiling on the back, early ones didn't. Yes that IG.

So the chain was made a touch wider too, but since most people just run 9speed chain on everything now. Don't worry and enjoy.
SRAM(Sachs) /KMC always worked fine on them.

So chainrings, fit anything, people used Middleburn, Pace, Vuelta/Generic similar Vuelta rings in the middle or top, since these (probably) never actually aligned with Shimano ramps/profiling/pins of SG-X, I doubt you'll even care.

BiTD (MY1995), Shimano thickened the rear cogs a bit so they could add profiling to the back of them, now seen on everything since.
Long since dropped the IG naming, many are using IG without even knowing it from that era (git a M737 caseete, has -I at the end and the new profiling on the back, early ones didn't. Yes that IG.

So the chain was made a touch wider too, but since most people just run 9speed chain on everything now. Don't worry and enjoy.
SRAM(Sachs) /KMC always worked fine on them.

So chainrings, fit anything, people used Middleburn, Pace, Vuelta/Generic similar Vuelta rings in the middle or top, since these (probably) never actually aligned with Shimano ramps/profiling/pins of SG-X, I doubt you'll even care.
Cheers for that 👍

Back